How does freenas mount Ubuntu 20.04 soft raid disk?

Dabbler
I found a lot of old servers in school.
But each server has only six SATA interfaces.
I found a lot of 500GB hard drives.
I just installed a new Ubuntu 20.04,And made a soft raid with ext4.
ZFS cannot be selected during installation.
I want to merge raid on Ubuntu server into freenas. Is that ok?There is no data in it.
How can I change my Ubuntu file system to ZFS?

danb35

Hall of Famer

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
How can I change my Ubuntu file system to ZFS?
Install ZFS on Linux, wipe the disks and use command line tools to create a ZFS volume.
I want to merge raid on Ubuntu server into freenas. Is that ok?There is no data in it.
Put the disks in a system running FreeNAS. Wipe those disks (you said there is no data) under Storage | Disks. Create a ZFS pool with those disks.

Dabbler
Install ZFS on Linux, wipe the disks and use command line tools to create a ZFS volume.

Put the disks in a system running FreeNAS. Wipe those disks (you said there is no data) under Storage | Disks. Create a ZFS pool with those disks.
1. I'll change the file format to ZFS first.
2. then add ubuntu's zfs to freenas?use iSCSI?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
What do you mean by "add Ubuntu's ZFS to FreeNAS"? You install FreeNAS on the hardware instead of Ubuntu.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
If I understand what you're trying to do, then there's no way to convert an Ubuntu dmraid in-place to a FreeNAS ZFS zpool. If you have multiple boxes, then it's possible to:
  1. Export the data via NFS from the Ubuntu box.
  2. Build a 2nd box with FreeNAS.
  3. Mount box 1's NFS export on box 2, and copy the data over to a zpool.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
He wrote "there's no data in it". And I still don't get what "merge RAID on Ubuntu server into FreeNAS" is supposed to mean ;)

sretalla