how do you manage loads of pictures?

danb35

Hall of Famer
@John Doe, PicApport may be an option:

I haven't made any attempt to install it on FreeNAS as yet, but a quick overview of the docs suggests it should be possible.

Edit: See also:

John Doe

Guru
thanks, that looks promising!

will check the T&Cs and might give it a try over the weekend

danb35

Hall of Famer
I haven't done much with PicApport, but the instructions in the thread I linked were enough of a start to get it running--though I think the rc script still needs some refining. Make sure to tell it in the .properties file where to store (or look for) the photos.

John Doe

Guru
I haven't done much with PicApport, but the instructions in the thread I linked were enough of a start to get it running--though I think the rc script still needs some refining. Make sure to tell it in the .properties file where to store (or look for) the photos.
thanks for pointing that out.
PicApport seems like a good solution. It is using a third party service for face recognition and auto tagging.
I need to dig more into that 3rd party privacy statement and what is submitted to that company.

privacy law within europe got quite strict in the past year...

HolyK

Ninja Turtle

danb35

Hall of Famer
@John Doe, there's work in progress on a port of PhotoPrism. I don't yet see that it does face recognition, but it definitely analyzes the photos and tries to describe them. The instructions here should get it running in a jail:

Some examples of image analysis:
1610837821134.png
1610837844107.png
1610837888232.png

Last edited:

John Doe

Guru
@John Doe, there's work in progress on a port of PhotoPrism. I don't yet see that it does face recognition, but it definitely analyzes the photos and tries to describe them. The instructions here should get it running in a jail:

Some examples of image analysis:
View attachment 44353 View attachment 44354 View attachment 44355
appreciated!
will check that out once I find time for that...

you might imagine during home office and lockdown you gain more time for that kind of stuff but somehow it is the other way round.

TooMuchData

Contributor
over the years I got more and more pictures.
currently I have them all on a SMB share in folders.

probably many of them are double, they are not sorted in a proper way.... it is a mess

I can remember, that google had a photo tol called picasa with auto face recognition, tagging pictures for geo location etc.

is there an application around, that manages that all on the server directly with a strong focus on privacy?

if not, how do you manage you pics?

I've been running PIWEGO in a TrueNAS jail for years. 350 albums and 50k photos. Some albums are public, others restricted to certain users or groups. Security can be at the level of individual photos.

chris4nas

Cadet
Hello, I'm trying to follow the instructions ( danb35/freenas-iocage-lychee ) and the first instruction is "Change to a convenient directory, clone the repository using git clone https://github.com/danb35/freenas-iocage-lychee, change to the freenas-iocage-lychee directory, and create a configuration file called lychee-config with your favorite text editor (if you don't have a favorite text editor, nano is a good choice--run nano lychee-config). Then run the script with script lychee.log ./lychee-jail.sh."

I'm not sure what is meant by "change in to a convenient directory". Can someone please clarify?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure what is meant by "change in to a convenient directory". Can someone please clarify?
Login to your NAS via ssh. Create a directory in a path of your choice with mkdir. Change to that directory with cd.

Last edited:

chris4nas

Cadet
Login to your jail via ssh. Create a directory in a path of your choice with mkdir. Change to that directory with cd.
Thanks for the reply. I'm picking away at this as I find time. So far I've run the git clone command in the /media directory of the jail and used nano to make the lychee-config file in the freeness-iocage-lychee directory. My config file looks like this (I've verified that the IPs are correct):

JAIL_IP="192.168.50.193"
DEFAULT_GW_IP="192.168.50.1"
POOL_PATH="/mnt/Photos"

This is as far as anything makes sense to me because I'm not clear on where/how I should run the script command... In the freeness-iocage-lychee directory? or at the Truenas root? Also, will the command need to be modified according to my system or does 'script lychee.log ./lychee-jail.sh' work for everyone, assuming all previous steps were done properly.

chris4nas

Cadet
Thanks for the reply. I'm picking away at this as I find time. So far I've run the git clone command in the /media directory of the jail and used nano to make the lychee-config file in the freeness-iocage-lychee directory. My config file looks like this (I've verified that the IPs are correct):

JAIL_IP="192.168.50.193"
DEFAULT_GW_IP="192.168.50.1"
POOL_PATH="/mnt/Photos"

This is as far as anything makes sense to me because I'm not clear on where/how I should run the script command... In the freeness-iocage-lychee directory? or at the Truenas root? Also, will the command need to be modified according to my system or does 'script lychee.log ./lychee-jail.sh' work for everyone, assuming all previous steps were done properly.
I should add the result I get when I run the script the freeness-iocage-lychee directory:

root@Lychee:/media/freenas-iocage-lychee # script lychee.log ./lychee-jail.sh

Script started, output file is lychee.log

./lychee-jail.sh: iocage: not found

/iocage: No such file or directory

./lychee-jail.sh: iocage: not found

Failed to create jail

Script done, output file is lychee.log

root@Lychee:/media/freenas-iocage-lychee #

danb35

Hall of Famer
Login to your jail via ssh.
I'd overlooked this earlier--no, this isn't correct. Do not log in to the jail. Do not create a jail. The script creates the jail.

@chris4nas, destroy the jail you've created, download the script somewhere on your FreeNAS system, and then follow the remaining instructions.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Sorry, my bad. I was just trying to answer the "how do I create a directory" question. I edited my post.

HarambeLives

Contributor
I'm a bit late to the topic, but I used Advanced Renamer to get all the names in order, then put them into year by year folders for actual pictures

If they are Images (So not pictures I took) they get their own folder

Once the pictures are organized, at the end of the year I archive that years picture onto M-DISC - https://blog.networkprofile.org/archiving-pictures-to-m/

After they are archived, I make a new folder inside the year called "Archived" and move all the images to that. This way, if I find a new picture which goes into a past year, it's clear it has not been archived

chris4nas

Cadet
Sorry, my bad. I was just trying to answer the "how do I create a directory" question. I edited my post.
Thanks for your help on this, I managed to install based on your tips but next steps in the setup are a foreign language to me and I don't have the time to get up to speed, so I'm bowing out now.

Once the pictures are organized, at the end of the year I archive that years picture onto M-DISC - https://blog.networkprofile.org/archiving-pictures-to-m/
There's no way that's YOUR blog post, is it? If so, then what a small world we live in! o_O

I used that same blog post and the provided .docx sleeve templates to do practically the same thing with video/photo archives for my family and relatives, making multiple copies of each disc for different members to keep somewhere safe. (Event-based, not year-based, though.)

HarambeLives

Contributor
Thats pretty funny!

Yep, thats my blog. Well at least I could help someone

Thats pretty clever giving them to family members, then its off-site and they could enjoy them!

Last edited:

Timmers22

Cadet
There's this one:
Script to install in a FreeNAS/TrueNAS jail here:
Thanks for the script.

I know this an old thread, but in case someone else was looking to install Lychee in a TrueNAS Core jail, some small tweaks are now needed:

The script almost works, but failed when it tried to do the composer part. I got a 503 error "../vendor/autoload.php not found. Please do: composer install --no-dev --prefer-dist" when I browsed to the jail's IP address.

It seems Lychee requires PHP 8 now. On a whim, I replaced all the pkg references in the script from "php74" to "php80" and amazingly, it worked. For example: "php74-pdo-mysql" becomes "php80-pdo-mysql". In total, 20 replacements were needed.

@danb35: Your well-constructed script made it easy for a novice such as myself to work out what to do. Thanks a lot.

danb35

Hall of Famer
It seems Lychee requires PHP 8 now. On a whim, I replaced all the pkg references in the script from "php74" to "php80" and amazingly, it worked. For example: "php74-pdo-mysql" becomes "php80-pdo-mysql". In total, 20 replacements were needed.
Thanks, I've updated the script to reflect this.