SOLVED How do I install a new hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaunIOW

Dabbler
I have a HP Microserver running FreeNAS 9.10.2, with one 4Tb hard drive that I use to store media to stream over my home network. I've put in a new 4Tb hard drive as I was running out of space, but can't for the life of me see how to get it setup. I want it as a seperate hard drive for storage which is totally independent of the first drive, and don't want data spread across both of them. Any idea how I do this please?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Step 0: Make a full backup. Seriously.
Step 1: See http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/storage.html.
Step 2: Go to Storage/Volume Manager.
Note that you have no redundancy now, and a new separate one-disk volume will have no redundancy either. Anything stored on those drives will be lost when the drive fails. Think about this before continuing.
Step 3: Did you do Step 0? Okay, then create a new volume with only the new disk. Do not stripe it with the existing one! Do not overwrite the old one!
Step 4: Profit, until that lack of drive redundancy becomes a problem.

ShaunIOW

Dabbler
Step 0: Make a full backup. Seriously.
Step 1: See http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/storage.html.
Step 2: Go to Storage/Volume Manager.
Note that you have no redundancy now, and a new separate one-disk volume will have no redundancy either. Anything stored on those drives will be lost when the drive fails. Think about this before continuing.
Step 3: Did you do Step 0? Okay, then create a new volume with only the new disk. Do not stripe it with the existing one! Do not overwrite the old one!
Step 4: Profit, until that lack of drive redundancy becomes a problem.

Thanks for the reply.

Done that, and chose Spare from the dropdown box where Stripe was. The Volume screen now shows a drive with 3.5 TiB available. When I try to create a zvol with 3.5 TiB as the size i get - cannot create 'HP_Microserver_D2/HP_Microserver_D2': out of space if I try 3.4 TiB I get cannot create 'HP_Microserver_D2/HP_Microserver_D2': volume size must be a multiple of volume block size

So how do I format it so i can use it?

Cheers

wblock

Documentation Engineer
It's not a spare. A single, non-redundant drive is called a "stripe":

danger-stripe.jpg

Note how it is given a new name, "volume to extend" is left unset, and the Volume layout thing says 1x1. The slider was dragged so only one disk was selected, because I have a couple of spares on that testing system.

Again, having non-redundant disks like this is dangerous. Don't put any data on it you do not have backed up somewhere else, because when that disk dies, everything on it will be lost.

Last edited:

ShaunIOW

Dabbler
It's not a spare. A single, non-redundant drive is called a "stripe":

View attachment 15627

Note how it is given a new name, "volume to extend" is left unset, and the Volume layout thing says 1x1. The slider was dragged so only one disk was selected, because I have a couple of spares on that testing system.

Again, having non-redundant disks like this is dangerous. Don't put any data on it you do not have backed up somewhere else, because when that disk dies, everything on it will be lost.

Cheers, I've done that, and created a Dataset and it looks the same as my other drive on the Volume screen, but it doesn't show up in my network list.

I realise it's not the safest way of storing data, but none of it is critical, it's just ripped DVD's and CD's so I can stream them at home, I have the original discs so have backups if needed. All my important stuff like photos and docs are on a different NAS that has 2 drives mirrored and also on a desktop hard drive, and DVDR's.

Status
Not open for further replies.