How do I get an idea of what kind of speeds to expect if I upgrade to 10Gbe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oRAirwolf

Explorer
I have been considering upgrading my NAS to 10Gbe with an Intel x540-T1 NIC. My problem is that I would like to know what kind of throughput I can expect from my current setup. I have been looking at using dd to test the read and write speeds, but I don't have a lot of confidence in the results. I was wondering if anybody on here has some suggestions on what commands to use to get some real world sequential read and write speeds for my zpool that I would expect to see if I went from a 1Gbe NIC to a 10Gbe NIC.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Real World differences depends on your use case. If youa re talking transferring a single large file then as I understand it, you can max out the 10Gbe interface. If you are talking lots of small files then you still may max out the interface but that depends on how fast the sending machine can grab the data. If youa re just hosting Plex and watching movies, I doubt you will see any difference at all. Keep in mind that you need 10Gbe connectivity for all your networking items in which you desire that type throughput. So if I created a 10Gbe connection between my main computer, a 10Gbe switch, and the FreeNAS, I would expect my backups to run significantly faster and any data transfers between my NAS and main computer would just be fast. My Roku on the otherhand is limited to 1Gbe (wired) and that link would be limited to that speed. WiFi would be limited to it's capability as well.

There are other forum threads here which discuss the 10Gbe interface and throughput, most end up favorable. The only real issues I've seen are when someone buys a non-supported NIC or the network connectivity wasn't proper, like trying to use a 1Gbe switch for example.

For me, while it would be cool to have 10Gbe in my home, I would not spend the money as I would never really benefit from it in a home environment. It takes 42 minutes to backup my main computer (263GB uncompressed, 176GB compressed), which is done at 2AM by automation.

As for the hard drive speed tests using dd, your drives will be fast enough to fill the pipe and you have enough RAM to support it properly.

I don't know if this information helps any. Again, use case makes a difference.

oRAirwolf

Explorer

Thank you for the reply. In my case, it will mostly be moving media files and ISO's to and from my desktop and NAS. I am just looking for some sustained sequential transfer rates with incompressible data. I will have an Intel x540-T1 in both machines with an ASUS XG-U2008 switch, which has 2 x 10Gbe ports. I'm basically just wanting to make sure that moving to 10Gbe will be worth the effort. If I end up getting a 25% increase in speed, it's probably not worth the trouble/money.

Don't know if this is helpful to you since I'm using Mellanox NICs, but I get around 800MB/s sustained transferring incompressible large files to my SSD pool and around 600MB/s sustained to my HDD pool from my Windows 10 desktop, FreeNAS hardware on signature.

oRAirwolf

Explorer
Don't know if this is helpful to you since I'm using Mellanox NICs, but I get around 800MB/s sustained transferring incompressible large files to my SSD pool and around 600MB/s sustained to my HDD pool from my Windows 10 desktop, FreeNAS hardware on signature.

So I assume mine should be a little slower, then, but still a lot faster than what 1Gbe can offer.

chris crude

Patron

Can i ask what type of disk pool you have in your Windows 10 desktop? Those speeds i assume are a SSD pool in Windows 10 also? Thank you.

oRAirwolf

Explorer
So just as a follow up, I had trouble getting 10Gbe over RJ45 working, so I bought 2 x Mellanox ConnectX-2 cards for 10Gbe over SFP. With the MTU set to 9000, I get about 430-450MB/s read and write when going directly to/from the zpool of 6 x 8TB WD Red's in RAIDZ1. If I am reading from the ARC to a RAM drive on my desktop, I get about 1.15 GB/s.

Hope this helps somebody else.

Status
Not open for further replies.