How do I create datasets inside main volume?

Status
Not open for further replies.

katit

Contributor
I'm brand new to FreeNAS, just got 9.3 installed yesterday.

Anyway, I have 2 1Gb WD Blacks that it put into mirror (fine with me). Next it created "Main" volume and "Main" dataset inside of it. It also put "jails" dataset inside "Main" dataset.

How can I create another dataset, let's say "Main2" at a same level as "Main"? So, there will be 2 datasets inside of main volume. Is it possible? Can't figure out GUI for this..

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
No. The top-level "Main" is the volume (or pool more exactly) and the other one is the root dataset (and it's not recommended to put data directly in).

You can however divide this root dataset with other datasets as you want.

katit

Contributor
I see. Any way to rename those? Because I'm getting confused with them now.. From googling it seems that I don't really need to create any zvol's, datasets is pretty much what everybody uses, right?

And. I did import "drive" with data I had before into this main dataset (technically did what's NOT recommended). Is it OK to create new datasets and then use linux "mv" inside SSH console to move data into proper datasets and make sure there is only datasets inside root one? I'm new to Linux as well, not sure if this GUI will be "OK" after I do this.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
I don't think you can rename them separately if it's what you ask as the root dataset has automatically the same name as the pool.

Yes, if you don't know you need it then you don't need it. You can see datasets a bit like partitions.

Yes, the GUI doesn't care about the user data but it cares about pretty much everything else so don't use the CLI for something else than moving your own data (unless you know what you're doing and you know the risks of course). BTW FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD, not Linux (but the commands are the same 99 % of the time so don't worry too much) ;)

katit

Contributor
Ok. That makes sense. Will re-org and come back later for more :)

Status
Not open for further replies.