Replication problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick779

Contributor
Good morning,

So far ive gotten my FreeNAS box up and running and everything is working perfect except replication.

To explain In my case I have 2 NAS boxes: HomeNAS and BackupNAS I want HomeNAS to PUSH to BackupNAS

I want to replicate these datasets from HomeNAS:
MainVol/Media/Movies
MainVol/Shares/Windows

The pool on BackupNAS is called backuppools (I have datasets Media and Shares on this box currently)

Yesterday, I was able to get replication to work, it just created additional datasets that I did not want
EX. backuppools/Media/Media/Movies backuppools/Shares/Shares/Windows.
I read that you can let the replication task just create the dataset by sending it to the main Volume (Remote ZFS Volume/Dataset = backuppools) so I tried that and now cant get replication to even start at its scheduled times even after wiping the other NAS clean and creating additional snapshots.

Also, running 'python /usr/local/www/freenasUI/tools/autorepl.py' does absolutely nothing
as seen here

Am I missing something here?

Last edited:

nick779

Contributor
Well, I got it working, but only after I recreated the backuppools\Media and shares datasets.

So my snapshots say that they are for backuppools/Shares/Shares/Movies.

It doesnt seem to hurt anything. Im just a tad OCD and I dont like it that way.

Glorious1

Guru
If you start over and just let the replication create the replicated datasets on backuppools, it should work as you want. Sometimes you have to check the box on the replication task settings - something like intialize once on the receive end, to get things working. That only affects the first replication.

nick779

Contributor
If you start over and just let the replication create the replicated datasets on backuppools, it should work as you want. Sometimes you have to check the box on the replication task settings - something like intialize once on the receive end, to get things working. That only affects the first replication.

I did that, and the shares replication works, it also worked for the movies dataset, but didnt copy any of the actual data over even with a recursive snapshot.

Just figured out that I deleted the old snapshot and there wasnt a media\movies snap, just a media snap so nothing really got copied over.

Everything looks good.

So now if anything happens all I need to do is pop my laptop off the dock and I have a complete copy of all of my data. This is great stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.