SOLVED How can I create a cloned image of FREENAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwittyFlash

Dabbler
Hi folks,

I would like to create an image of FREENAS. Currently I am using clonezilla:

Was experimenting with clonezilla to backup my Freenas until I disovered an error when using clonezilla.
I have created an image of Freenas 9.3 and 9.3.1 with clonezilla, but the image was unable to be restored.
I only saw a "Booting..." for 9.3 after restoring the clonezilla image.
and for version 9.3.1, I received a " NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
" for 9.3.1.
Has anyone encountered this?
Alternatively, is there any recommended cloning software that I can use instead?
Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

D

dlavigne

I would like to create an image of FREENAS.

Why? The only thing important on it is your config which is easy to save. You can also mirror the boot drive.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Perhaps the OP is trying to clone his data pool as well? I don't understand either.

Sir: If you are trying to clone the FreeNAS operating system you have installed, you can simply "download config", and reinstall FreeNAS at your leisure, were there to be a problem. If you are trying to clone the *DATA* you are storing on FreeNAS, then you are trying to do completely the wrong thing, sir. Suggest you read the documentation.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
" for 9.3.1.
Has anyone encountered this?
This is a windows related error, and my guess is that Clonezilla didn't work.

As has been mentioned above, you have 2 choices, depending on what your intentions are. You can just make a backup of your settings, and use them on another installation (same version). Or you can add a second boot device in parallel with the first and mirror the 2.

DiViDeR

Dabbler

TwittyFlash

Dabbler
Hi fellow users,

Appreciate the kind responses.
I am trying to clone the OS disk itself not the DATA disks.
The idea is to be able to perform a resurrection of the FREENAS via a NETWORK for disaster recovery purpose.
I need an exact copy of the original setup available.

The idea of downloading the config and reinstall the FreeNAS is second best option as time is of the essence in the recovery scenario.
The ideal response is to perform a one step recovery using a single image with all the features.

Best Regards

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You may find it difficult to make a backup of the USB using this strategy. If there are any underlying differences in the devices, it is possible for it to fail. You're better off with just downloading it from the first USB, actually installing it on the second USB. and then running that device, which leaves you with the desired state of affairs.

However, you probably also want to have some sort of script that makes a periodic copy of your config database to your pool. This is much more helpful in recovery than a USB key that has a six month old copy of FreeNAS and a six month old configuration sitting on it.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
The idea is to be able to perform a resurrection of the FREENAS via a NETWORK for disaster recovery purpose.
To pull on this thread a bit, in case of disaster, do you mean that the server gets destroyed, or just the boot device. Because if it's just the latter, mirroring your boot devices is cheap and easy insurance against boot device failure (you can even mirror to create the copy and then take one out if you really want). If it's the former, then there are bigger issues, like is your data backed up somewhere else. :smile:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It's also unclear why you wouldn't simply leave the second USB disk installed but blank, and then to recover you can always IPMI into the system and load whatever's needed.

TwittyFlash

Dabbler
To pull on this thread a bit, in case of disaster, do you mean that the server gets destroyed, or just the boot device. Because if it's just the latter, mirroring your boot devices is cheap and easy insurance against boot device failure (you can even mirror to create the copy and then take one out if you really want). If it's the former, then there are bigger issues, like is your data backed up somewhere else. :smile:

Disaster recovery as in the boot device gets destroyed.
Mirroring,hmm...sounds like a good idea! Any recommended ways to mirror the NAS OS?

TwittyFlash

Dabbler
Still does not answer my question. I am trying to find a software to create an image of the FREENAS operating system on its own.

All the suggestions above are just alternative solutions.

Appreciate the responses thus far.

Kind Regards.

TwittyFlash

Dabbler
dd was more for doing the cloning but not the restoration. Found a solution through trial and error with clonezilla. Thanks anyway guys.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
dd was more for doing the cloning but not the restoration. Found a solution through trial and error with clonezilla. Thanks anyway guys.
Clonezilla, I believe, uses dd for ZFS. ;)

So you were using dd, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.