How about patch FreeNAS 8 to zfs v28?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stassik

Cadet
It is very necessary because it is very necessary because ZFSv19 and newer can import pools where the log vdev has failed, and can remove log devices from the pool.

And we can safely use the RAMdisk as a ZiL cache!!!

there is no FreeBSD release that supports ZFS v28. if you want to be on the bleeding edge, go for it.

stassik

Cadet
but there are patches for FreeBSD 8.2 release, and work well. Also there is a ready distr, such as mfsbsd-se-8.2-zfsv28-amd64.iso.

feel free to run it. but they are not releases, they are development branches, they are not guaranteed to work right. Trying to build a platform on top of an unstable foundation is not a good idea.

pallfreeman

Dabbler
If FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE is unstable, why do they call it -STABLE?

pallfreeman

Dabbler
I was being facetious, but I'll stick my neck out and disagree.

Like any open source project, FreeBSD pushes out RCs and hopes that the bugs are found before the release. But only a tiny minority of the users of any software bother with RCs. The real problems come after the release, when people expect things to work. So bugs get fixed after the release.

I understand that if you're building on top of a platform, and hacking it, you need it to change as little as possible. That's one definition of stable. But I think it means fewer bugs, and IME that's what you get with -STABLE. It's usually better than -RELEASE, and certainly not "bleeding edge".

I suppose I'm wondering why FreeNAS doesn't track FreeBSD-STABLE more closely.

I suppose I'm wondering why FreeNAS doesn't track FreeBSD-STABLE more closely.

Because the definition of stable within the context of the stable development branch is different than you think it is. if you want to be on the bleeding edge, go for it. I'm running FreeBSD 8-STABLE and I've already hit a bug with ZFS when my root file system accidentally ran out of space.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Actually, v28 (27? 28? can't remember) has been pretty thoroughly tested. As a matter of fact, it appears that iXsystems itself uses v28.

http://www.ixsystems.com/truenas

As I just mentioned in a different thread, there may be some hesitation to add these features to FreeNAS as it reduces the differentiation between TrueNAS and FreeNAS. To pretend that there are not people successfully using v28 on FreeBSD 8, however, is just silly.

Tracking FreeBSD-STABLE would probably be a royal pain, however. Any rapidly evolving project such as FreeNAS is constantly breaking and fixing things, and FreeBSD is _also_ breaking and fixing things. Having to debug things is hard enough with only one moving target. FreeNAS is currently based on the latest 8 series RELEASE available, and that seems pretty sufficient. It could be fun and educational to see if you could build a FreeNAS based on a more recent FreeBSD snapshot; I'd try, but I have enough balls in the air right now.

To pretend that there are not people successfully using v28 on FreeBSD 8, however, is just silly.
That wasn't the impression i tried to give. I am running FreeBSD 8.2 STABLE. I got my issue sorted out, need to submit a bug report still.

Tracking FreeBSD-STABLE would probably be a royal pain, however.
As someone who is running it, yes it was a pain to get it setup.

t3h0th3r

Dabbler

dmt0

Dabbler

peterh

Patron
yes 9.0 is out. Today i installed in a thumper and with 25 disks in raidz i got > 250MB/s with Bonnie writes.

I will however by other reasons use 8.2 for this installation

Gnome

Explorer
Doubt the plan is to move to FreeBSD 9.0 any time soon. They will delay moving to ZFS v28 as long as possible IMHO (as others indicated).

ProtoSD

MVP
The tenative plan is to wait until after FreeBSD 8.3 Release LATE this summer which will have ZFS v28, so my guess would be October'ish. The advantage of using FreeBSD 9.0 Release would be the Hot Swap capability unless that gets backported into 8.3, which is possible. I'm playing with a personal test build of FreeNAS 8.0.3 built on FreeBSD 9.0 Release. If you want to know more, you can follow my blog (link in my profile here), or the link in my signature below. This is unofficial, so no posting questions here about that build or opening tickets please.

Gnome

Explorer
I'm playing with a personal test build of FreeNAS 8.0.3 built on FreeBSD 9.0 Release. If you want to know more, you can follow my blog (link in my profile here), or the link in my signature below. This is unofficial, so no posting questions here about that build or opening tickets please.

You don't really post instructions or your personal experiences with the ported version (on your blog). Mind sharing some more info?

EDIT: We need a section in this forum for custom versions of FreeNAS. It would be a great way to test releases like that you made with ZFS v28, etc.

EDIT2: You aren't in any way affiliate with the FreeNAS project are you? (In an official capacity?)

ProtoSD

MVP
You don't really post instructions or your personal experiences with the ported version (on your blog). Mind sharing some more info?
I don't have the time right now, I'm in the middle of moving and things are pretty hectic. I'm working on a HowTo, and I have some stuff drafted, but I don't want to post stuff I don't have time to verify.

EDIT: We need a section in this forum for custom versions of FreeNAS. It would be a great way to test releases like that you made with ZFS v28, etc.

The way people tend to not be aware of what versions they're running and posting half cocked questions in the wrong places I doubt it will happen. It's already difficult enough with people posting FreeNAS 7 questions which don't belong here.

EDIT2: You aren't in any way affiliate with the FreeNAS project are you? (In an official capacity?)

Nope, just JAFO ;-) (just another f'in observer)

joeschmuck

Old Man
Nope, just JAFO ;-) (just another f'in observer)
I'm sure you wouldn't mind if they did pick you up for a few bucks, you would be a very good addition to the team and you will need that additional money for your new place. Hope you have someone helping you move all your stuff. Toss me an email when you're settled in, I want to know how your new place is.

Status
Not open for further replies.