Hostname not found after hard reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

carleycr

Patron
I have had this issue before and it seems to only happen when I do a hard reset on the server. Last time I just re-installed on different flash drive and started from scratch. I do have a backup of the config this time, thankfully. Just wondering how to fix so I can access the web gui without doing a complete re-install.

I have tried to ping "8.8.8.8" via shell and don't get a response. I can not ssh into it either. I attached the pic of the error I'm getting. I've done some quick searches with no luck.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Attachments

• FreeNAS_ERROR.JPG
    FreeNAS_ERROR.JPG
    325.8 KB · Views: 209

Oko

Contributor
It would help if you post version of FreeNAS that you are running. Any how 9.2 branch which I am running has as one of console optios network which allows you to set IP, gateway and DNS.

carleycr

Patron
Sorry. I do have version 9.2. I don't know if this matters but I do have my server setup with Static IP on my router. Would I just go in and specify that IP? How do i know what to set my gateway and DNS to? Sorry, not that great at networking or troubleshooting when it comes to FreeNAS.

Thanks

carleycr

Patron
Ok, so I got access to the Web GUI finally by re-assigning the static ip to the Freenas server and put in a gateway.

Now how do i get access back to my jails, plugins, shares? Everything is still there but I can't start plugins or access jails/shares.

carleycr

Patron
Also, I forgot to add. I can ssh into the server, i can ping 8.8.8.8 via shell in WebGUI. It's almost like the IP of the one jail I have my plugins in has a different IP.

Oko

Contributor
Ok, so I got access to the Web GUI finally by re-assigning the static ip to the Freenas server and put in a gateway.

Now how do i get access back to my jails, plugins, shares? Everything is still there but I can't start plugins or access jails/shares.
If the jail is suppose to start automatically you will need to restart it. Otherwise just start the Jail and everything should work. Open the shell in the Jail via gui or open the shell and type

Code:
warden chroot name-of-the-jail 

you are now inside the Jail.

Last edited:

carleycr

Patron
I don't know why I didn't think of this. It worked. I can now access my plugins/jail. Thank you very much. I can access my CIFS and AFP share, but still can't access my UNIX share which is where all my movies/tv shows are stored and where all my plugins are pointed to. Any suggestions there?

Thanks again.

Oko

Contributor
Restart NFS and make sure NFS shares are mounted on client computers. If /etc/fstab is edited on client computer just reboot them if you don't know how to mount things from CLI.

carleycr

Patron
That did work. Ok, so now I'm almost back to where I was originally when everything was working. However, one of the biggest issues is now I notice I'm missing some folders(directories) in that NFS share which stored TB's of media. These were used for post processing of plugins.

Yesterday when I restarted the server it was in the process of downloading some things in transmission/sab. Could that have completely deleted the directories? I am seriously freaking out right now. There's gotta be some type of way to recover those if it can see the share/other folders that are still there in the share?

Thanks again Oko. You've have seriously save me having to start from scratch...for the most part.

Oko

Contributor
That did work. Ok, so now I'm almost back to where I was originally when everything was working. However, one of the biggest issues is now I notice I'm missing some folders(directories) in that NFS share which stored TB's of media. These were used for post processing of plugins.
More likely some NFS export permissions have been messed up and you don't see them on client machines. Open the shell on your FreeNAS box and go to those directories. I bet you they are not empty.

Yesterday when I restarted the server it was in the process of downloading some things in transmission/sab. Could that have completely deleted the directories?
I don't believe it. Even if you did it should not be big deal. You have snapshots right? That is way you use ZFS based storage because you like its Journaling capabilities of ZFS file system. You also have remote replications of your file system. Right? Because you back up everything right? Don't reinstall anything because importing pool into new installation is more stressful than anything you did so far.

carleycr

Patron
Ok. So I have gotten back the NFS share along with the directories in that share. You're correct, it appears I didn't loose anything. I do not have snap shots, but will be setting those up ASAP. Not sure what you mean by "remote applications of my file system". I try to backup everything, and make backups of backups, but with being so new to FreeNAS I wasn't sure how or what to backup. Now I know what to backup.

For some reason, when I start my one jail that has my media plugins in it, my FreeNAS goes unreachable. What I mean by that is all I get when I go to FreeNAS IP is, "404 Error". I can't get back access to my server until I stop the jail via ssh in a terminal window. Any ideas there?

Oko

Contributor
I didn't say "remote application". I said remote replication. Now check the section 20.4 to see what I mean by it.

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/zfs.html

Apparently that Jail is miss-configured and uses the same IP address as your FreeNAS server. Jail must be configured with different IP address. If you are leasing addresses with dhcp server that might be a problem. The bad news is that for now FreeNAS has no GUI interface which will allow you to select separate physical interface for your Jail. Non the less your Jail has different MAC address than physical interface it is attached to. You will have to configure your dhcp server to lease different IP to different MAC addresses.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No, that's not correct.

FreeNAS 9.2.1.x does not do DHCP for jails. It works by static IPs within the range you've set in the WebGUI. So all the talk about configuring dhcp servers is null and void.

What needs to happen is he get the FreeNAS manual from doc.freenas.org and read the section on setting up jail IPs and follow that. The FreeBSD manual should almost never be linked in this forum because it's more often than not it's not accurate for FreeNAS and the solutions provided are often also inappropriate for FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.