Host CPU does not provide required features: svm (Intel?!)

Lipe123

Dabbler
After the upgrade to Cobia train my VM no longer starts.
Here is the full error message: https://pastebin.com/AfT1SPjN

I feel like something went wrong on my install or something because everything I Google says that SVM is AMD cpu specific and for intel cpus it should be testing for vmx/VT-X/D/etc..

I did some basic checking like cat /proc/cpuinfo and i get:
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdt scp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cp uid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid dca sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm cpuid_fault epb pti ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms xsaveopt dtherm ida arat pln pts md_clear flush_l1d
vmx flags : vnmi preemption_timer invvpid ept_x_only ept_1gb flexprioritytsc_offset vtpr mtf vapic ept vpid unrestricted_guest ple
So the the intel vmx flags are there.
Also:
root@truenas[~]# kvm-ok
INFO: /dev/kvm exists
KVM acceleration can be used

I'm not super smart with linux and this stuff in general, just want to run a silly little game server for a small group. Any suggestions on additional diagnostic commands I need to look into or potential fixes?
If this CPU model just too old to support the new build? (it's an Core i7 4960X)

Virtualization is enabled, has been since I began using Truenas Scale (see image)
PXL_20240126_034751580.jpg

Last edited:

MrGuvernment

Patron
By chance was the VM fully powered down and off before the upgrade or was it just suspended? Does it have any snapshots?

Can you do a full power off and then power on the VM?

Have you tried to deploy a clean new VM to see if it has the same issue?

Lipe123

Dabbler
I'm honestly not sure what state it was in, I did not even think to check.
It's currently dead, there is no snapshots I'm aware of and there is no stop or power off, just start as option.

I have tried to make just a random new VM yes, and I get the same error.
I tried kvm64, qemu64, and host options for CPU all with the same problem.

BUT I have updates!!

I tried taking it further and created a bunch of new vm's...
I got one to start, If I chose my cpu as kvm32 or qemu32 it does start! (widows or linux selected as os type)
The display is just a blank grey flashing spice screen but something happened at least.

Also I cannot change the cpu type after i created a VM, when i click save the window goes away but nothing saved.
Next time I open it, it shows the original value again.

MrGuvernment

Patron
Ya so it is not picking up the instruction set (esxi does the same when nested and if not enabled, you can only do 32bit OS's)

I was just reading but it was back form 2016, about libvirt and stuff, not sure if it would apply and strange after an upgrade this would happen when it worked fine before....

It is the CPU in your specs I assume? i7 4960x?

Lipe123

Dabbler
Correct, that is my CPU,

Even more weird, I created one and chose "host" as the model and it started!
I'm not sure why the kvm/qemu ones are not behaving.
I also tried changing the existing vm type to host before but it's not saving.