Not open for further replies.

GWasp

Dabbler
Will it FreeNAS?
MOBO Supermicro MBD-X10SRI-F LGA 2011-3
CPU Intel Xeon E5-1620 v4 Broadwell-EP
FAN Noctua NH-U12DXi4
RAM 32GB (2x16GB) Samsung DDR4 2133 M393A2G40EB1-CPB
HDDs (old) Seagate 2x 4TB ST4000DM000 + extra new 4TB ?
CASE (old) Lian Li V1100
PSU (old) Seasonic S12 500W SS-500HT (over 10 years old but good condition)
UPS will likely choose later before go live​

Building my first FreeNAS server, for personal home use. I'm expecting this will likely be overspec'd and am happy with that, but would like to know where it might be underspec'd or not compatible. Near silent running is also very important.

Primary Use Cases
  • Serving flac files over either SMB or dnla
  • Time machine backup
  • Photo storage, possibly some processing if that makes sense
  • Offsite backup sync tbc likely AWS Glacier or crashplan, subject to upload bandwidth constraints
Secondary Use Cases (willing to compromise)
  • Storing and transcoding DVD rips
  • Serving video files to Kodi running on a RPi
  • Running VMs in a jail for hobby experimentation dev projects

Concerns/questions
  1. PSU quite old though is in good condition and I believe is compatible and powerful enough so would rather not have to get a new one unless really necessary. It has 4 SATA connectors
  2. RAM Supermicro recommends M393A2G40DB0-CPB but I am considering M393A2G40EB1-CPB because it is more generally available and appears to be just a newer revision with the same specs from the Samsung guide how bad idea is this?
  3. MOBO it was a toss up between MBD-X10SRI-F and MBD-X10SRL-F.
    I'm going for ATX due to the case which I am quite attached to
  4. HDD I already have these and really want to make use of them for the NAS. I originally intended on going for just the 2 of them in RAIDZ1 vdev. Now I am reconsidering if I should add more to get RAIDZ2 if I'm correct it is actually better to get a different brand (say WD), is there any other compatibility points I should be aware of? Is 2 more drives appropriate or should I go for more upfront, I'm not particularly concerned about space as I originally felt 4TB would be ample.

I have built workstations before and had a NAS4Free server running for a few months or so as a proof of concept on ancient hardware. I'm a developer and comfortable with using a shell, but am new to FreeNAS.

Looking forward to some feedback and hoping to catch some Cyber Monday pricing though doubtful, thanks

Dice

Wizard
I'm expecting this will likely be overspec'd and am happy with that, but would like to know where it might be underspec'd or not compatible.
A fair bit over overspecced would be an understatement. Notably in terms of CPU and ...capacity of the motherboard. Since you are running a very low drive count very little speaks in direct favor of this plentiful overkill.

3. Usually smaller motherboards will fit on stand-offs just as well in the ATX case.
4. Two drives should not be put in raidz1. Mirrors is the option. Have a look at cyberjocks newbie slides (link in sig). It will sort out a couple of key points in terms of expansion of the FreeNAS system. There are (from a newbie perspective) rather peculiar restrictions on how you can add drives into your configuration. A lot of drive configuration planning is necessary. It is all explained very clearly in the cyberjock document. Understand the possible paths to upgrade your system before proceeding. It might result in you wanting to go into a higher drive count. If budget is limited - at the expense of the overkill in your selection of CPU/RAM.

GWasp

Dabbler
Thanks Dice,

It was actually reading Cyberjocks newbie slides that lead me to reconsider if I want to stick with 2 drives or add additional to use Z2 upfront. Sorry I was partially aware that 2 meant a mirror but got confused with the naming.
I'm now considering adding 2-4 WD Red 4TB NAS drives due to it being easier to add now rather than later. Total would therefore be up to 6x 4TB in Z2.

PSU further consideration comes into play if I go for more than 4 drives, I'm not sure about using a molex adapter.

With regards to the mobo i did feel it was over doing it but, part of me considers I may repurposes this later as a general mixed use server possibly running VMs. Whether I do or not I didn't want to limit myself too much in this regards for what I perceive to be a price difference of 1 drive, (for what I think I would be looking at instead).

The catch with non-ATX boards is although consensus says they should work but given the age of the case it is hard to be sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dice

Wizard
Total would therefore be up to 6x 4TB in Z2.
The typical sweet spot.

PSU further consideration comes into play if I go for more than 4 drives, I'm not sure about using a molex adapter.
Molex->sata adapters are fine.
Sata->satasplitters are a lot more dodgy and not recommended.
I'd definitely consider getting a new PSU if you are getting a E5 board and 6 drives out the gate. WHEN the old PSU dies from exhaustion to the load - imagine loosing additional parts of your hardware and potentially data if the screw-up hits good..

With regards to the mobo i did feel it was over doing it but, part of me considers I may repurposes this later as a general mixed use server possibly running VMs. Whether I do or not I didn't want to limit myself too much in this regards for what I perceive to be a price difference of 1 drive, (for what I think I would be looking at instead).
Solid. Good. E5's will keep you covered. Specially in the RAM department.

The catch with non-ATX boards is although consensus says they should work but given the age of the case it is hard to be sure.
Why don't you trust the specs?
http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-v1110/

GWasp

Dabbler
The typical sweet spot.
Why don't you trust the specs?
http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-v1110/

Because those are not the specs ;)
My case is a V1100, which is many years older and the Lian Li site archives, this is the closest spec I can find but it is a few revisions later

I will investigate a new PSU, I'm reluctant because the old one seems good and I would think 500W should be sufficient but the age is certainly a concern.

Decided I will get 4 new drives.

Any thoughts on the RAM and the fact it is slightly different model from the listed compatible one?

Dice

Wizard
Ah. I misread the 01010110100's. my bad.
Id be extremely surprised to find out mATX would not be supported. It is a consumer case that accepts ATX. To me it is unheard that such a case would suddenly not support mATX.

Any thoughts on the RAM and the fact it is slightly different model from the listed compatible one?
Your gamble.
Most use the recommended versions in order to at least put one worry away.

Status
Not open for further replies.