High Processor usage in Reporting

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrema2

Explorer
Hi all

I have a P5K motherboard with an E2200 core 2 Duo and 6gb RAM connect via a giga ethernet LAN and running 8.0.1 beta 4. I also have 5 disks stripped connected direct to the motherboard (ICH9).

When I copy a large file (8GB or more), I can see in the report page that the memory is not fully used (4.6 gb used) and the processor is running at 100% or close to it. The network throughput doesn't go over 34 mbits/s.

Doing a DD test via SSH I can write at 236 mb/s and read at 330 mb/s. The fact that I can't go over 34 mbits/s and the processor is at 100% shows that the limitation is the CPU ?

I saw a lot of Atom CPU with people saying that they are transferring files at higher speeds. Isn't a core 2 duo a faster CPU ?

By the way I'm using NFS and AFP and the performance is the same during copy.

there is no e2200 core 2 duo. I'm betting you have a Intel® Pentium® Processor E2220. it is 75% or so faster than an Atom.

how is your network setup?

andrema2

Explorer
Sorry you're right, it's not a core 2 duo, but it is a E2200. The network is setup with a 3Com/HP Giga switch model V1405-8G. The clients are Macs. Do you think I would have much benefit in getting a e7500 processor or E2200 should be enough ?

andrema2

Explorer
Hi, I've upgraded my processor to an e7500 (Core 2 Duo 2.93 Ghz). The performance stays the same around 33 mb/s during copies with large files (12gb). I have seen people talking about 75mb/s or even more. I'm not sure what is causing this low performance on my case, nor how can I pinpoint the bottleneck or problem. Any ideas ?

By the way I'm running 8.0.1 RC

B

Bohs Hansen

first thing I'd try is to connect the NAS directly to a PC/Mac via a crossed cable (if both ain't autodetect) and check the speed that way. Just to rule out the switch.

In my experience around the NAS forums (both pre and self build) the switch/hub/router is usually the problem when a low transfer speed occurs where it shouldn't. Also make sure your cables are cat5e+

That cpu should pull way more, as my E350 already does 65-70mb/sec over cifs without tweaking and with realtec nic

Status
Not open for further replies.