High load when idling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshuah

Cadet
Hello,

I've installed the latest freenas 11 stable version and after setting up everything, it constantly idles with a high load? Any ideas if this is normal?

Code:
root@freenas:~ # w
 1:39PM  up 22:14, 2 users, load averages: 0.77, 0.76, 0.73

Thank you!

majerus

Contributor
That does not seem like high load at all. How many cores do you have, how much memory , and what type of setup of your disks? Also provide a output of top please.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hardware specs are required for all posts. Read the rules.

majerus

Contributor

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
This is his second post maybe take it easy on him?
Umm... No? You have to read the rules to even make an account. And it's not being hard on them, it's asking for the information so they can actually get help.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Hello,

I've installed the latest freenas 11 stable version and after setting up everything, it constantly idles with a high load? Any ideas if this is normal?

Code:
root@freenas:~ # w
 1:39PM  up 22:14, 2 users, load averages: 0.77, 0.76, 0.73

Thank you!
Why do you feel the load averages are high?

Exactly which version of FreeNAS is installed?, there are several "Stable" versions like 11.0-U4 or 11.1 for example.
What services are running?
Do you have any Plugin's or jails?
What is the output of top?

And please read the forum rules, they were created to help everyone out and they are intentionally short. No one likes multiple pages of rules.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Let's not go overboard with the hardware information. It might be useful in this case, but it's far from necessary for many situations.

That said, it's easier for everyone if hardware is included for the sake of completeness, even if it's not very likely to be useful.

joeschmuck

Old Man
From a hardware perspective for this thread I feel the CPU info and RAM Amount are probably all that is needed but I also agree that basic hardware data should be presented in the original posting because the OP may not realize this is important.

Anyway, I'm waiting on the OP to post the requested data or just say this does not appear to be a problem. Based on the presented values my personnal opinion is this is not a problem. If we were looking at a value of 5.x or greater and there were no plugins or jails then I'd think there was something going on.

halyard

Cadet

rogerh

Guru
A load average of 0.7 may seem high compared with installing a bare operating system like 'BSD or Linux, but FreeNAS has various routines running to do this and that and 0.7 sounds reasonable to me.

Edit: actually the number of CPU cycles for basic housekeeping does seem to have gone up on my low-powered machine from 9.3 to 9.10 and now 11.1, but I doubt if it is actually anything malfunctioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.