High Load Average

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HwyXingFrog

I had an issue just start up today where my Load Average is very high compared to what I usually have.

It started about 5.5 hours ago (Noon local time).

I had started a bunch of torrents yesterday, and they were running fine without issues. We went out of town and when I got home my cousin was complaining about my HTPC having to buffer media being played from the FreeNAS box.

I tried rebooting the FreeNAS box (it was running 8.0.1 RC4). And when rebooting didn't help, I tried backing up the config and doing a fresh install of 8.0.2 Release and am still having issues.

Basically my load average sits around 0.30 even while the box is idle and nothing is even accessing any files on it, usually my FreeNAS box sits at less than .10

Once I try doing file transfers it climbs up. At the time we were having issues it was well over 1.

I am checking the running processes with no indication of what the problem is. All it shows is Python at 1.86%, everything is at zero.

My CPU Usage (in the Reporting Charts) is showing an average of over 20%, that I'm not seeing in the running processes.

I have no idea what I'm doing, and what I can look at for a better idea of what's going on.

Any ideas, or extra information I can get if I ssh into the box. I'm not familiar with FreeBSD as I have just recently switched from Ubuntu to FreeNAS as my NAS

Thanks.

H

HwyXingFrog

Of Course, it went and fixed itself after running for a while, looke like it stabilized just over an hour after my last reboot. Current load average is 0.01, which is more like normal. I guess at least this forced me to upgrade to 8.0.2. Besides little hiccups like this, I'm loving my FreeNAS box.

Still, any specific commands that are useful for a FreeNAS N00b like me?

I know I had similar issues on my Ubuntu Box when the Linux Raid was busy, and I couldn't really find any indication that it was doing it.
I guess that's what happens whey you are doing Software raid at the kernel level.

So, any commands that can give any indication of what kernel level processes may be using the CPU and bringing up the load average above normal levels.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.