SOLVED High availability questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovizii

Patron
I have 2 Synology NAS at work using https://www.synology.com/en-global/..._availability_configuration_with_Synology_NAS so I was wondering if freeNAS can get close to that.

Synology does it this way: both NAS are connected via direct connection and they both monitor the others heartbeat. Once one fails users automatically access the other one and data is automatically synced between both. The "cluster" is accessed by users via one IP which basically points to the master NAS, if that one fails the IP automatically points to the slave one. *described in my own words, more or less accurate*

I'm not looking for the exact same complexity but is it somehow possible to keep 2 FreeNAS completely in sync automatically? and I mean completely (config and data) so if one fails I can replace it with the other one manually at least?

Last edited by a moderator:

m0nkey_

MVP
No. This is a feature of TrueNAS, the commercial side of iX Systems.

What you could implement is replication tasks, to ensure data is kept in sync with another host.

ovizii

Patron
Ah, thanks for pointing out the commercial version, I didn't know that's a feature of it.

This clarifies my question, all I wanted to know was whether this feature existed and where :smile:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Ah, thanks for pointing out the commercial version, I didn't know that's a feature of it.

This clarifies my question, all I wanted to know was whether this feature existed and where :)
You can keep the data on two FreeNAS units in sync through rsync or zfs send there are ways to do it and it can be setup as a cron task so that it happens automatically on a schedule. I have my two home NAS systems sync so that if one is down I can manually switch to the other. If you want the automated functionality, TrueNAS actually has similar functionality that is locally managed with redundant controllers.
It is not an insignificant investment though. I recently received a quote for my organization from one of the iX sales reps for a system that is about $44000, but that was for a specific use scenario. They will bring in an engineer (if needed) to work with you to develop a solution that is right for you.

ovizii

Patron
I assume (as I haven't fully read the manual) that the replication tasks link given above only works one way, right? If two-ways would be possible It would be possible to have 2 FreeNAS with 2 different IPs being addressed via some kind of DNS round robin so whichever was online would be the one used.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I assume (as I haven't fully read the manual) that the replication tasks link given above only works one way, right? If two-ways would be possible It would be possible to have 2 freeNAS with 2 different IPs being addressed via some kind of DNS round robin so whichever was online would be the one used.
I have certain directories on my NAS at home that do two way sync using rsync and it works for what I need.
If you are able to use some external feature to point to the NAS that is up, I am sure you can find a way to make it work. I have not put any effort into making that work at home.

ovizii

Patron
thanks, sounds more or less like what I was expecting. I'm not in need of this right now, more along the lines of having found that Synology feature and wondering if FreeNAS can do that too :)

wblock

Documentation Engineer
I assume (as I haven't fully read the manual) that the replication tasks link given above only works one way, right? If two-ways would be possible It would be possible to have 2 FreeNAS with 2 different IPs being addressed via some kind of DNS round robin so whichever was online would be the one used.
Replication can go a number of ways, that is no problem. The problem with this type of cluster scheme is that it really only works with read-only data. As soon as a client writes new data to one system, even a small time lag while replicating the data to the other system gives inconsistent results between clients talking to either system.

Status
Not open for further replies.