Hide folder in CIFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xalies

Cadet
Hi,

Can someone please tell me how I can hide a folder? I had it done before but since I reloaded onto a fresh USB I can't remember for the life of me. I was hiding just my incomplete downloads folder and I thought I did it by adding "hide files = /mnt/Volume1/Downloads/Incomplete/" to auxiliary parameters but that hides everything from Downloads dir onwards

Thanks,

Xalies

Cadet
Sorry I'll try to make it clearer with a screenshot
Untitled_zps6oye3dfd.png

So I have setup a dataset called downloads(777) for transmission and then I created a CIFS share of my entire volume and then I went into it to create the incomplete folder for temp download folder. now originally I did have it so that the incomplete folder was hidden and I did that by adding a line into auxiliary parameters for the volume share. I thought it was "hide files = /mnt/Volume1/Downloads/Incomplete/" but apparently not

it was only for me as a convenience thing so its not that important but I had it and then my pc just refused to reboot off the usb last night and I had to reinstall with another and well this is the only thing i can't remember and its eating at me

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Depending on how you've configured CIFS, you can do the following:
(1) Open Windows Explorer, right-click on your "incomplete" folder, click "properties", click checkbox "Hidden", click "apply".

Or, if you've disabled dos attributes, then you can do the following:
(2) Rename "Incomplete" to ".Incomplete"

In the former option, samba will write an extended attribute to your "incomplete" folder that it will then present to Windows clients as representing the "Hidden" DOS mode.

By default samba on FreeNAS is configured to "hide dot files". In Unix, files and folders that begin with a dot "." are hidden. Samba will interpret present these files to clients as hidden files.

Of course, if you configure Windows Explorer to show hidden files, then they will no longer be hidden.

Last edited:

Xalies

Cadet
windows wouldn't let me hide it though explorer

that was going to be my next move but been a little busy and in that time I remembered that all I did was "hide files = /Incomplete"

Status
Not open for further replies.