Hi Everyone!

Hello,

Just introducing myself as prompted by the introduction email. I recently finished up a stint as a helpdesk consoltant after realising i wanted to pursue a different avenue (currently it is teaching) and i am now back at university.

While in the IT workplace i heard of FreeNAS and it would be a great home server and media server with Plex, so fast forward to today and I am trying to build a FreeNAS server from a salvaged laptop I own (specs below). From what i have read i need a minimum quadcore processor and 8GB of RAM. I am currently looking into purchasing another 4GB of RAM to make up the minimum requirements and possibly put a larger SSD inside. My inspiration comes from wanting to reduce e-waste and watching a video from youtube by DIY Perks where he builds his own home media serve from an old laptop.

I do have a question being: Is it possible to start a FreeNAS install within an OS (not using a VM) and override the currently installed OS. While pulling the laptop apart the screen (which was a bit dodgy before pulling apart) no longer seems to work and this causes the problem because I can't access the BIOS anymore but I can connect to an external monitor over VGA and enter the OS.

Anyways I am not sure if this was appropriate to put here or if you want more info about me (to introduce myself) but thanks for taking the time to read this.

Dell Inspiron N5110 Specs:
Mobo - proprietary
Processor - intel i3-2310M (2 cores, hyperthreaded @ 2.1Ghz)
RAM - 4GB (1x SODIMM)
HDD - 320GB @ 5400RPM
OS - Linux Mint

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
If all you want to do is to putter around and learn FreeNAS, this laptop is fine. However, for production use, the amount of RAM is too small. If you want to preserve the Linux Mint installation, you'll also need at least 2 external USB disks, one on which to install the OS, and another one to serve for your data pool.

Thanks Samuel!

I don't really care about the Linux Mint install, but i will consider the dual USB method.

Thanks for your time :)