Hi all from a server newb

Status
Not open for further replies.

colmo

Cadet
Hi all,

I've just purchased a Dell T110 II (E3-1220v2 + 4Gb RAM) and am currently pondering how I'll configure it. I'll be scouring the forums hear looking for hints and tips.

Currently deliberating on:

- Are 5 drives enough for RAID-Z2?
- Should I run FreeNAS as a VM to allow use of other VMs for other uses?
- Will I meed more RAM?
- What is a sensible backup setup for a FreeNAS server?
- How good is FreeNAS for streaming and bittorrents?

Thanks all, I have some reading to do...

Nindustries

Patron
- What is a sensible backup setup for a FreeNAS server?
If you want to backup your NAS, you'd have to do it to another NAS.. or off-site..
You can even backup your most important data to a cloud provider like CrashPlan. (We got a plugin for that here.)

- How good is FreeNAS for streaming and bittorrents?
FreeNAS can do this perfectly using the minidlna plugin. (except transcoding)
Better question is: is your hardware performant enough? E3-1220v2 can handle it with ease.

Greetings

colmo

Cadet
Thanks for the responses.

A few quick explanations:

- I know 5 disks is enough for RAID-Z2 (as is 4), but is it much worse than 6 disks? The server is limited to 5 internal SATA devices without using expansion cards. It's for personal use, storing large photographs, video and other things that clog hard drives very quickly.

- As this is a fairly beefy server, just using it as a file server seems a waste. Running multiple VMs is a potential way for making best use of it. I haven't yet looked at running other VMs via FreeNAS. Edit: It appears it supports VirtualBox, which I already use. I could probably transfer my existing XP VM to it!

- Thanks for the RAM tip - I was going to go for 8Gb, but replacing the 4Gb I have with 2x8Gb looks to be the way to go.

- Backup plan is either cloud or a USB drive to take with me for when I'm away from home, updated perhaps weekly.

- Need to look into transcoding on FreeNAS - my player is a PS3 which does need transcoding for some video formats.

Lastly, I have considered taking out the Xeon CPU for a workstation and replacing it with a cheap Celeron or Pentium, if the Xeon will be seriously under-utilised.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You're going to need a xeon if you want to do transcoding.

VMs with FreeNAS is far from trivial. You will need significantly more powerful hardware to run VMs without serious latency issues.

colmo

Cadet
After a hectic turn of the year, it's time I finished this server config.

I've ordered the RAM and am now deliberating over disks - as UK disk prices currently stand, it's either WD 3TB Reds or Seagate 4TB NAS HDDs.

I've come to realise that backup is the only way to ensure redundancy, so I'm quibbling over the cost of a multiply redundant RAID plus USB drive (I did calculations for Crashplan and found a restore would take months for large data volumes!), when I could go for a raidz1 3 drive setup or even a mirror, saving some cash now but shortening the life of the initial configuration, after which I'd either need to redo the raid or add to it using vdevs? I'm also factoring in being a FreeNAS newb and so not relying too much on the raid to keep things safe. I guess that's a value judgement only I can make.

I could get two drives to start and to practice until I'm comfortable, then get the remainder and setup the raid for use, meaning all the drives aren't from the same batch.

I'm reading cyberjock's PDF guide, very useful. I'd almost forgotten planning to get a UPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.