Help with Upgrade re: Trains

balanga

Patron
I'm currently on FreeNAS-11.2-U7 and I wish to upgrade to the most recent stable version. When I select
System -> Update
I am presented with choices about 'trains'. I have no idea about the implication of switching 'trains'...
I'm tempted to select 11.3-Stable. I'm running a home based network so if I screw up the upgrade it's no big deal if I can roll back the upgrade.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Trains are the major versions (with significant functionality differences) which your system can "board" in order to get involved with the minor fixes and features added to that train. (like 11.2-U1, U2, U3...)

You can run midclt call update.set_train TrueNAS-12.0-STABLE to get to the latest version (12), but switching to the 11.3 train in the GUI is also probably a valid step since the jails system changes from Warden to iocage in that change, so sorting that out before getting to 12 might help (if you have jails). You should also see the 12 train in the GUI after doing that and getting to 11.3-U5.

balanga

Patron
Have updated now, although the system did not reboot automatically... had to attach a monitor and keyboard to see some output although the font was too large to fit on the screen. Is there any way to reduce it? I did manage to see Reboot so opted for that and then it came up.