Help with setting up a basic user directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironfelix717

Dabbler
Hi,

Quick background: Not a networking guy. Just installed my first FreeNAS home server. Really excited, am in the learning stage.

I am attempting to create a very simple "directory" within my server, but struggling with permissions and so fourth.

Here is what I am trying to achieve, from the perspective of the client's machine.

Client, say "Tom", finds server on the network. Connects to the server as their with his name and password. Presented with a "HOME" directory. Clicks into the home directory and can see his folder, and everyone elses. After clicking into "HOME" tom sees the folders: "TOM, BILL, JANE, etc..."

Tom can access his folder, but cannot access Bill or Janes folder. However, Bill may be a little more important, so bill can access Tom and Janes folder.

I simply cannot get anything to work here. Could someone be so kind as to walk me through the process...

1.) I only need ONE volume, right?
2.) Do I need a seperate data set for each 'SHARE'?
3.) How many groups do I need?

Important points: Setting up share for CIFS (SMB) because i have OSX and Win 7 machines on network. This is a home environment. Also, plan to port forward and open SSH when i am more experienced, so I can access server remotely, so security is obviously an important thing.

Thank you all for your time.
Regards

Last edited:

ironfelix717

Dabbler
More Information:

What I have currently is...

Volume1>Dataset1>
TOM (sub data set) - owner user = Tom, owner group = Tom
BILL (sub data set) - owner user = Bill, owner group = Bill
JANE (sub data set) - owner user = Jane, owner group = Jane

SMB Shares:

"HOME" = mnt/Dataset1

"TOM" = mnt/Datatset1/TOM

"BILL" = mnt/Datatset1/BILL

so fourth...

Any help is appreciated. Thank you

ironfelix717

Dabbler
Hi all,

I managed to achieve what I was looking for. Turns out i had unchecked "Use default permissions" in the SMB share settings, which was causing me some headaches and making everything confusing!

Thanks!!

ironfelix717

Dabbler
Update:

Hi, So i have learned that if i dont give a data set "execute" permissions, then I cant access the share linked to that data set. However, if i allow execute permissions, I can access with no problems.

Connecting via Mac finder - SMB protocol. UNIX permissions.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.