Multiple share with individual permission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Dabbler
Hello,
I want to make a CIFS share where the dataset will be organized according to the given tree

Untitled.png

So, there are four users here; Jon, Tom, Erik, Elin. I want to make a system so that
  • Everyone can access the Common folder but only the person can delete/modify the item of Common folder who created the file/folder under "Common" folder.
  • Under the Sub Organization folder (SubOrg1 and SubOrg2), each user will have their own Public and Private folder.
  • The Public folder will have every one's access to read the data but the user only would have data read/write access. The private folder will be only available to the user. Other user would not have read/write access to that folder.
Please guide me thoroughly as I am very new to FreeNAS.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Here are some threads to help you out:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-freenas-and-samba-cifs-permissions-video.41210/
Aside from that I would like to comment on a couple things:
  1. If you are wanting "User Home" Folders, consider a separate dataset specifically allocated for "Home Directories" (Can search the manual for this info)
  2. Maybe reconsider wanting a User's "Public" folder; since this seems like overkill
    • Things that you may want to be available to the entire company should be vetted and place in appropriate locations higher up
    • You really don't want User's just willy-nilly putting things out there for everyone to see
  3. Try not to go more then 3 levels deep with permissions, this leads to a lot of Administrative Overhead and confusion on where permissions are actually set
  4. Consider a "Transfer" folder, that User's can Read/Write to but on a temporary basis. Usually the contents of this folder is deleted at standard intervals (like every week)
    • Would simplify having to track down and "Data Leaks" where questionable information may have been made Public (think of having to check each User's Public folder opposed to a single Transfer folder..)

Adnan

Dabbler
Aside from that I would like to comment on a couple things:
  1. If you are wanting "User Home" Folders, consider a separate dataset specifically allocated for "Home Directories" (Can search the manual for this info)
  2. Maybe reconsider wanting a User's "Public" folder; since this seems like overkill
    • Things that you may want to be available to the entire company should be vetted and place in appropriate locations higher up
    • You really don't want User's just willy-nilly putting things out there for everyone to see
  3. Try not to go more then 3 levels deep with permissions, this leads to a lot of Administrative Overhead and confusion on where permissions are actually set
  4. Consider a "Transfer" folder, that User's can Read/Write to but on a temporary basis. Usually the contents of this folder is deleted at standard intervals (like every week)
    • Would simplify having to track down and "Data Leaks" where questionable information may have been made Public (think of having to check each User's Public folder opposed to a single Transfer folder..)
Thanks. By the time I had no clear understanding on dataset, folder, share. :)

Adnan

Dabbler
Yes! I am :)

Adnan

Dabbler
Another query!

Is this even possible, so that in a "Common" space I can make a file which any one can open and read, but no one can be able to delete or modify the data?
If so, what would be the Permission scenario?

Status
Not open for further replies.