Help with Plex! Folders not showing

Status
Not open for further replies.

zejohn

Dabbler
Hi,

I've been researching this for two hours now and can't figure it out. I followed all of the Freenas's youtube channel for creating a Plex media server. I can get to the web gui, but when I try a library, I only see the Plex jail and not the folders that I attached to the jail. I've already tried setting the permissions of both the Media folder and the jail to chmod 777. Not sure what's going on. Please help! This is bothering me like crazy.

Secondly, this is far less important, is there any way to attach a FOLDER (not a dataset) to the Plex jail without giving it access to the entire dataset that the folder is in? Thanks!

zejohn

Dabbler
Update: when I use cd /media in my Jail on the Jail shell, I see my media file, which means this is strictly a Plex issue in that it cannot see my media folder. Help!

Jimmy Dahlin

Dabbler
Did you solve this? I have the same problem now.

eldo

Explorer
Hi,

I've been researching this for two hours now and can't figure it out. I followed all of the Freenas's youtube channel for creating a Plex media server. I can get to the web gui, but when I try a library, I only see the Plex jail and not the folders that I attached to the jail. I've already tried setting the permissions of both the Media folder and the jail to chmod 777. Not sure what's going on. Please help! This is bothering me like crazy.

Secondly, this is far less important, is there any way to attach a FOLDER (not a dataset) to the Plex jail without giving it access to the entire dataset that the folder is in? Thanks!

Which version of FreeNAS? Which version of Plex? Is this a new jail, or an old jail that has persisted through a FN upgrade?
what user is plex running as?
Can you show a screenshot of the plex library setup screen, your jail storage configuration, as well as ls -lh /media in your jail?

danb35

Hall of Famer

Jimmy Dahlin

Dabbler
My setup:
FreeNAS-11.0-U2
Plex 1.7.6.4058

My Jail is an old Jail that have persisted thru a lot of FN upgrades. I have also updated the PlexMediaServer plugin manually thru PMS_Updater.sh, so that maybe is one problem also. Somehow Plex does not see the Jail folders, that you see in the console. I can only add new sections in Plex if I know the path. Somehow Plex now sees the "/var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server" path.

PlexMediaServer console: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ew7iig55mqhn94l/PlexMediaServer console.png?dl=0
PlexMediaServer Jail: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aid3vdkc0ywdaw7/PlexMediaServer Jail.png?dl=0
Plex GUI: https://www.dropbox.com/s/twcnzxlamvyty46/Plex GUI.png?dl=0

Last edited:

eldo

Explorer
My setup:
FreeNAS-11.0-U2
Plex 1.7.6.4058

My Jail is an old Jail that have persisted thru a lot of FN upgrades. I have also updated the PlexMediaServer plugin manually thru PMS_Updater.sh, so that maybe is one problem also. Somehow Plex does not see the Jail folders, that you see in the console. I can only add new sections in Plex if I know the path. Somehow Plex now sees the "/var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server" path.

PlexMediaServer console: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ew7iig55mqhn94l/PlexMediaServer console.png?dl=0
PlexMediaServer Jail: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aid3vdkc0ywdaw7/PlexMediaServer Jail.png?dl=0
Plex GUI: https://www.dropbox.com/s/twcnzxlamvyty46/Plex GUI.png?dl=0

In your last screenshot, look at your path.
Your jail storage is mounted at '/media' (destination) from '/mnt/vol1/Video' (source) However your plex path is pointing to '/var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Media' (nowhere in your storage configuration screenshot)

To fix this either change the plex GUI path to '/media' (storage destination), or change your storage destination to '/var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Media'
Alternatively, place a symlink to /media inside the '/var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Media'
that should help.

Personally I set my plext media path to my /media/* folders.
What I would also consider doing is creating a new dataset for your plex library and metadata. This will benefit you when you upgrade your jail.
From other users helping me after my 9.3 -> 11 upgrade, the jails really should be recreated.

Edit to add:
I'm not sure why you can't browse up to /, but my plex is behaving the same as yours. You can, however, type in the correct path and hit enter to manually set it.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
We've seen enough of this reported that I'm wondering if this should be reported on the Plex forums. There's not a lot of love for the FreeBSD version over there but issues aren't completely ignored.

Jimmy Dahlin

Dabbler
In your last screenshot, look at your path.
Your jail storage is mounted at '/media' (destination) from '/mnt/vol1/Video' (source) However your plex path is pointing to '/var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Media' (nowhere in your storage configuration screenshot)

To fix this either change the plex GUI path to '/media' (storage destination), or change your storage destination to '/var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Media'
Alternatively, place a symlink to /media inside the '/var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Media'
that should help.

Personally I set my plext media path to my /media/* folders.
What I would also consider doing is creating a new dataset for your plex library and metadata. This will benefit you when you upgrade your jail.
From other users helping me after my 9.3 -> 11 upgrade, the jails really should be recreated.

Edit to add:
I'm not sure why you can't browse up to /, but my plex is behaving the same as yours. You can, however, type in the correct path and hit enter to manually set it.
View attachment 19600

As you said the Plex path is wrong and the problem is that you can't browse to the correct path inside of Plex. Don't know why this have happen, wasn't like this in the beginning. I guess I need to recreate the jails, but I'll wait for FN 11.1 as I understand there will be a lot of changes.

saikee

Explorer
I did have the same problem occurring to me but couldn't remember what I did wrong but I did reconfigure my router a few times.

I eventually cured it by setting a new plexmediaserver which seized a usable IP address. Either Plex or FreeNAS does not seem to like the original IP changed. No matter what I did with the broken Plex FreeNAS came up with "An error occurred". So if Plex misbehaves install a new one and ditch the old one.

A new Plex generates another jail so just use it. The old jail and Plexmediaserver can be deleted once the new one is working normally. Not an elegant solution I admit but it is the quickest and the easiest.

Status
Not open for further replies.