Help with my first implementation

Alextop1

Cadet
Hello everyone, I am new to the world of TrueNAS currently, but it is time to make this great transition from my qnap nas to a more powerful one with much more storage.
First of all, forgive my English, my native language is Spanish, in case there are spelling mistakes.
I plan to mount a server with TrueNAS with the following specifications:
Mobo: ASUS B560M-A PRIME
RAM: 2x32GB 2666MHZ PATRIOT SIGNATURE PSD432G26662
Processor: I5-10400
PSU: EVGA BR 80 PLUS BRONZE 100-BR-0700-K1
CASE: GAMEMAX M-902 DRAGON NIGHT
SSD for OS: CRUCIAL MX500 3D NAND CT250MX500SSD1
NIC: HP 561T Dual Port RJ-45 10GB NIC PCIe x8 Network Card 716589-001 717708-001
As for disks, my idea is to reach 64TB in RAID-Z, I don't need fault tolerance at all.
I plan to buy 4x16TB disks, my local provider only has these options which I don't know which one to choose:
ITEM
PRICE USD
HD SATA3 16TB SEAGATE EXOS X16 ST16000NM001G
HD SATA3 16TB SEAGATE ST16000VE002 SURVEILLANCE AI
HD SATA3 16TB SEAGATE SKYHAWK AI ST16000VE000
HD SATA3 16TB WD RED PRO NAS WD161KFGX 7200RPM
HD SATA3 16TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF NAS ST16000VN001
I didn't include an HBA card because I don't want to deal with firmware updates, oh unless they already come up to date.
I await your recommendations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That is not a good configuration.
Mobo: ASUS B560M-A PRIME
RAM: 2x32GB 2666MHZ PATRIOT SIGNATURE PSD432G26662
Processor: I5-10400
You should probably look at server platforms rather than consumer platforms. ECC support, IPMI, hardware that's actually known to work well... Among other advantages.
PSU: EVGA BR 80 PLUS BRONZE 100-BR-0700-K1
Bronze is extremely low-end in 2023. You should be aiming at Gold as a minimum these days.
GAMEMAX M-902 DRAGON NIGHT
I have my doubts about it (large and not really optimized to take lots of HDDs), but it's not concerning, per se.
SSD for OS: CRUCIAL MX500 3D NAND CT250MX500SSD1
There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but if you end up with a motherboard that has an M.2 slot (or even one that doesn't but you add an adapter card), I'd recommend booting from an NVMe M.2 SSD. They're dirt cheap and the M.2 form factor makes for much cleaner layouts than having to run SATA power and data to a 2.5" SSD tucked away somewhere.
As for disks, my idea is to reach 64TB in RAID-Z, I don't need fault tolerance at all.
I plan to buy 4x16TB disks, my local provider only has these options which I don't know which one to choose:
Well, you have several problems there:
  1. If you have no need for fault tolerance, why are you storing double-digit Terabytes of data? That does not make any sense, you either don't care about it and thus do not need to store it, or you need to store it reliably. There is no middle option.
  2. Four 16 TB disks in RAIDZ1 would give you, optimistically, around 35 TB of storage. Since RAIDZ1 is somewhat reliable, it sounds like you were thinking of striping all four disks, broadly equivalent to a RAID0 setup. RAIDZ1 is broadly similar to traditional RAID5. Even then, considering real disk sizes (x 0.909) and maximum fill level (x 0.8), that would be 46ish TB.
  3. If you really want to store 64 TB of data, you should be aiming at something like a RAIDZ2 with eight 16 TB disks, which allows for two disk failures and does give you 64 TB of usable space for typical workloads.
  4. It's not clear what you're looking to store (media, backups, live VMs, ...), which may increase these requirements.
They're mostly inoffensive. I would stay away from "surveillance" disks, because if the marketing claims are true (i.e. they are not just relabeled NAS disks with a higher price attached), they are tuned to error out more in favor of maintaining write performance when faced with difficulties, even more so than typical NAS/Enterprise disks. Some people swear by one brand or the other, but I view all disks as unreliable trash that is only worth buying because SSDs are still a lot more expensive and not much less trashy; while tape is very steampunk in all sorts of irritating ways - fun to play around with, not fun to rely on.