Help With Multiple Shares

NasNewb

Cadet
Hi, newb here needing some assistance.

I have two 4tb drives in mirror formation. I created a pool /mnt/nas-1/nas-data/nas-data and created a share so I can map a windows drive to \\192.168.0.10\nas-data. Created a user called "share" which accesses that location.

I would like to create a new folder under /mnt/nas-1/nas-data/nas-data, lets call it "limited". So /mnt/nas-1/nas-data/nas-data/limited. I want all shares under /mnt/nas-1/nas-data/nas-data to be accessed only by one power user and the "share" user should have access to everything else but the "limited" share/folder.

Not sure I am explaining to the best of my ability but basically want an admin type user to access everything with read/write and the "share" user only to access certain folders. Is this done through ACL or do I need multiple shares created?

Thx

NugentS

MVP
Looks to me like multiple datasets needed
1. /mnt/nas-1/nas-data/nas-data as one dataset - shared as nas-data
2. /mnt/nas-1/nas-data/nas-data/limited as a second dataset - shared as limited

Set the ACL's on 1. for the normal user
Set the ACL's on 2. for the limited user

NasNewb

Cadet
When I try to set up the data sets and shares as described above and try to map them from a windows machine, one succeeds and the second I get this error:

truenas.png

NasNewb

Cadet
Is there a way to have one share, with all folders and have individual user access to each folder? For example, the share is /mnt/nas-1/nas-data/

Under /nas-data will be folders Pictures, Videos, Data, Backup.

User "power" should map one drive to share /mnt/nas-1/nas-data/nas-data and have access to all folders in that share.
User "limited" should map to same share, but only have access to folders "video" and "pictures".

NugentS

MVP
Ahh, there is a limitation that from an individual PC you can only map to one server as a single user - you cannot use two different users at any one time

NasNewb

Cadet
Ahh, there is a limitation that from an individual PC you can only map to one server as a single user - you cannot use two different users at any one time
Doh, I should've picked up on that. In that case, what I described in the post after that is what I'd like to accomplish.

NugentS

MVP
Sorry - but I have to say that I no longer understand what you are trying to do as it makes no logical sense.
As you seem to be using one PC to access the NAS you can have one user, not two. This user either has access to an area or does not

NasNewb

Cadet
@NugentS

Sorry for the confusion. Hopefully this is more clear:

I will have one windows machine that will need to access all share(s) (or all folders within one share). This machine will map a drive using the "power" username that was created in truenas.

Then there will be several "other" devices such as streaming devices , Android devices, smart TV, etc using the VLC app. These devices only need to access the "videos" folder within the share via smb with the username "limited".

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Irrespective of what works or not from a client side, this is a classical scenario for 2 different shares. In fact, I would even say that 2 separate data sets make sense here.

For more information on TrueNAS and ZFS, please check the recommended readings in my signature.

NugentS

MVP
@NasNewb
Then as I suggested:
Looks to me like multiple datasets needed
1. /mnt/nas-1/nas-data/nas-data as one dataset - shared as nas-data
2. /mnt/nas-1/nas-data/nas-data/limited as a second dataset - shared as limited

Set the ACL's on 1. for the normal user
Set the ACL's on 2. for the limited user

NasNewb

Cadet
Thank you guys, finally clicked and made sense. It was the ACL's that I didn't have correct.

Last edited: