Help with drives to virtual

MEpke

Dabbler
Hey everyone! So....I have had a dell computer that I converted to a truenas server for quite some time.

Now, I will tell you, Im new to virtualization and I had an idea....

My friend recently gave me a Dell R710 server just cause he doesnt need it and I had an idea!

I exported/disconnected the pool without the data deletw options etc. Worse case scenario, I made a backup of all files and can just copy paste(lol).

So....now, I installed ESXi baremetal...on a 120gb drive that came with the server and I have 4 additional drives that make up my 20TB storage(from my previous server).

I reuploaded the config file from my old server to the new one, plugged in the drives(via usb with the 2 drive caddies x2), however, Ive run into....the pool and drives appear not to exist. So ai plugged them back into the old server and it finds the pool and no problems...

Im trying to figure out how to make them appear in the VM. Idk. Help, advice? Ive been at it...googling for like...8 hours. Lol

Thanks!

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

Please don't try to use raw device mapping for your pool drives. The safest way for your disks is to connect them to an HBA in IT mode, and pass through the HBA to the VM.

MEpke

Dabbler

Please don't try to use raw device mapping for your pool drives. The safest way for your disks is to connect them to an HBA in IT mode, and pass through the HBA to the VM.
I will google this as soon as I am done writing.

How do I know if I have a HBA, what is an HBA, what is IT mode, and you mean hardware passthrough?

Again, Im very new to this so, that was pretty foreign to me. Haha. Thanks.

MEpke

Dabbler
Screenshot_20220613-064517_YouTube.jpg

Slowly learning a bit. I still dont understand 100%...lol looking for one anyway.

MEpke

Dabbler
After researching, it seems I need to find a compatible HBA that works with the R710. At quick glances, maybe the H200 or H310, then I have to verify cables go to the backplane correctly. Right?