Help with config please

Status
Not open for further replies.

waggy

Cadet
Hi All,

I am looking to setup 1 of the following using FreeNas8

Option 1

Install freenas and add 2 internal disks. 1 for office data and 1 for CEO's data. Then using 2 x removable disk drives setup some sort of replication.

Or

Option 2

Have 2 freenas installs 1 has the internal hard drives and the second has the removable hard drives.

Will either option work??

My CEO wants to be able to have 4 removable hard drives and rotate them as and when.

I have remote access to the office servers but would like this to be automated as much as possible..

So is this possible???

Cheers for your help

your CEO should not dictate your IT decisions, if they insist, get your resume in order and find a new job. rotating disks is a bad idea, each time you move it, you risk damaging it, leave them be. both your options are bad options. the first has no redundancy and removable disks are just a bad idea.

have 1 system, cram as many disks as you can into it, set them up as a raidz2. use proper file permissions and sharing to segment the CEO's data away from the Office data. get some form of proper backup for your data (tape etc)

waggy

Cadet
Thank you for your comments but unfortunately leaving is not an option at the moment.....I have expressed my concerns to my CEO.

So I have to work within the budget and constraints.

I can create mirrors or raid5 within the main NAS box but I still need to know if FreeNas is able to support removable drives and local replication.......can anyone help please??

Status
Not open for further replies.