Help: share storage for multiple users + ftp

DGTM

Dabbler
Hello TrueNAS Scale Community,

I recently joined the TrueNAS family and have been facing challenges in setting up a simple directory sharing scenario. Despite exploring the official documentation, online resources, and various videos, I have not been able to achieve the desired outcome.

My goal is straightforward: I want to share a directory for multiple users with specific access permissions. Here's the breakdown of my scenario:

Shared Directory Structure:

Code:
[shared directory]
|-- user A (Access via FTP on local network)
|-- user B (Access via Windows SMB, both locally and over the internet)
|-- user C (Access via Windows SMB, both locally and over the internet)

Additionally, the admin user should be able to access TrueNAS from the internet for administration purposes.

My current installation: TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.1

I'm reaching out to the community for guidance. The official documentation has been a bit challenging to follow, lacking detailed user guides for specific scenarios.

I have explored the option of setting up TrueNAS as a VPN server, but it doesn't align with my preferences, and the process has proven to be quite cumbersome. I'm contemplating the use of Tailscale as an alternative.

If anyone in the community could provide a simple, step-by-step guide for configuring TrueNAS Scale for my scenario, it would be immensely appreciated. Clear and detailed instructions would be incredibly helpful, especially for a newcomer like me.

MrGuvernment

Patron
Any "internet" access needs to be via a VPN for sure, NOT other way about it, also consider Wireguard, as it is faster in terms of throughput.

What router do you have at home? Can you run a VPN or Wireguard direct off it?

Also, why FTP access for local?

DGTM

Dabbler
Any "internet" access needs to be via a VPN for sure, NOT other way about it, also consider Wireguard, as it is faster in terms of throughput.

What router do you have at home? Can you run a VPN or Wireguard direct off it?

Also, why FTP access for local?
Thanks for the replay.

Before we dive into my router's specs and talk about "what and why", can we just stay on course and start everything from the beginning? For starters, could I get a simple step-by-step guide on how to set up a shared dataset to be accessible to multiple users with all the steps described from the beginning? As I mentioned, there are many tutorials, but none of them touches and demonstrates the multi-user scenario.