Help Required - (Seemingly) Corrupt Array

jetpigeon

Dabbler
Good Morning All - Apologies that my first post is this, but I need some help... Please excuse my lack of knowledge; whilst I'm technically savvy my TrueNAS/FreeNAS knowledge is not great.

My hardware is (apologies I don't know the specific MB manufacturer etc..);
- Old Datto appliance.
- i5-4440 / 16GB RAM / 1238GB SSD Boot Volume / 4x Hitachi HDS5C3020ALA632 2TB HDDs.

I have a single pool running over two mirrored pairs:
pool1 ONLINE
mirror-0 ONLINE
gptid/24d7222f-6408-11e9-82f8-fcaa14913c0e ONLINE
gptid/2dd7e7ad-6408-11e9-82f8-fcaa14913c0e ONLINE
mirror-1 ONLINE
gptid/377f6874-6408-11e9-82f8-fcaa14913c0e ONLINE
gptid/3fad091f-6408-11e9-82f8-fcaa14913c0e ONLINE

On this I have (had!) a single iSCSI extent running in device mode on a single zvol on this pool. I have a single VMWare server which connects to this pool over two 'portals'. The single extent contains a single VMFS volume used by VMware.

All has been working perfectly fine for months on end until one day, it didn't. Upon connecting the machine to a screen I found it was boot-looping, with a panic when mounting the volume 'panic: Solaris(panic): zfs: allocating allocated segment(offset=1172842725376 size=4096) of (offset=1172488953856 size=4292273992). I only have a photo of this so can't type it all out.

This was on FreeNAS - I have since run an in-place upgrade to TrueNAS latest stable build.

I found that the only way I could get the system to boot was by pulling the disks before powering on. I can then insert the disks (with hot-swap enabled in bios) and then see and attempt to mount the volume.

I am now at the point where I can mount the volume as read only using: zpool import -F -f -o readonly=on.

This appears to mount the pool fine, and it appears as mounted as read only when I run zpool list.:

NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE CKPOINT EXPANDSZ FRAG CAP DEDUP HEALTH ALTROOT
freenas-boot 111G 5.08G 106G - - - 4% 1.00x ONLINE -
pool1 3.62T 1.31T 2.32T - - 0% 36% 1.00x ONLINE -

But VMWare just hangs for ages when rescanning (possibly because it's trying to write to the volume) and eventually show the volume as size 0B?

Also having tried to mount the volume using the windows iscsi initiator it also seems to hang indefinitely.

Really not sure what is going on here, the disks seem to be in good health - and I obviously run two mirrored pairs for redundancy.

Your thoughts and expertise would be greatly appreciated. I just want to mount the VMFS volume somewhere and copy all the data off so I can re-build the NAS.

Any further info you need let me know.

Thank you in advance.

jetpigeon

Dabbler
I wonder if it might be possible to try and mount the VMFS volume in TrueNAS itself? Thus bypassing iscsi etc.?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I wonder if it might be possible to try and mount the VMFS volume in TrueNAS itself?
No, TrueNAS has no installed filesystem for VMFS.

You will likely need to use a ZFS send | recv to get the data/ZVOL to a healthy/writable pool and then mark it as rw.

I suggest that the error you mentioned indicates that there is indeed some problem with your disks (at least one of them).

Were you able to get smartctl -a /dev/daX from any of them?

jetpigeon

Dabbler
Great, thanks sretalla! I have just hooked up a 4TB USB HDD and created a new pool on that - I've disabled iSCSI for now and am just getting to grips with the syntax for a ZFS send/receive to the new pool now.

Have run smartctl -a /dev/adb0,1,2,3 and all seem to come back with 'SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED' alongside a bunch of other info. However drilling deeper into that, it looks like adb0 has suffered some form of error at some point:

<code>Error 101 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 6631 hours (276 days + 7 hours)
When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.

After command completion occurred, registers were:
ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
-- -- -- -- -- -- --
40 51 80 48 39 80 02 Error: UNC at LBA = 0x02803948 = 41957704</code>

jetpigeon

Dabbler
Sorry for multiple posts but a couple of questions as I continue down this rabbit hole:

- I cannot seem to do a zfs send/recieve as I have no snapshot? And I can't create a snapshot as the pool is read only? Is there another way I can accomplish this?
- Given that adb0 was showing some error; perhaps I could try mounting the volume normally with that disk disconnected? Or would that leave me open to further issues? Want to ask those with experience first before I ruin any slim chance I might have had of recovering the data.

I do find it strange that neither VMWare nor the windows software iSCSI HBAs are able to see the volume at all in read-only. I'd expect Windows to at least see the 'disk' even if it can't read VMFS.

Finally; whist mounting in read-only on the console I noticed it says:

Code:
GEOM_ELI: Encryption: AES-XTS 128
GEOM_ELI: Encryption: hardware

I'm pretty certain this isn't an encrypted pool, and that same message does not appear when I mount the pool over SSH. So hopefully it's just some console level message. But if it is, where in the filesystem would I find the key? Have done a recursive search for *.key and it only came back with 4 files, none of which appear to be related to pool encryption. There are also no 'failed to authenticate' messages - so assuming the pool is mounted and readable..

Thanks again.

jetpigeon

Dabbler
Me again... A small update - I've managed to start the zfs send/recv to clone the zvol over. Just waiting for that to finish now, I expect it will take a while.

Fingers crossed VMWare will be able to read the volume once I've mounted that in iSCSI.

My next question will be; how do I ascertain what caused the failure in the first place? And what might I be able to do to prevent it in future? The NAS is backed by UPS and I know it's not suffered any power failure recently. And I had (perhaps incorrectly) assumed that zfs coupled with the mirrored redundancy would allow the OS to handle and either drop a disk if it starts experiencing read/write errors?

Thanks.

jetpigeon

Dabbler
Next hurdle; the send/recv failed after quite some time with

Code:
warning: cannot send 'pool1/zvol1': Input/output error
cannot receive new filesystem stream: incomplete stream

Are there some flags I can use to override / force this to work?

The command I used was

Code:
zfs send pool1/zvol1 | zfs recv pool2/zvol2

Assuming it will create the currently non-existent zvol2 on pool2.

Thanks

sretalla