HELP!!! One of Three HDDs Unkown State RAIDZ1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Hi;

Bit of a drama, I have just finshed getting my new NAS setup up and running with 3 x 1TB HDDs in a RAIDZ1 config. I have just started to transfer data to a folder on the volume dataset and noticed last night before I shut down the alert icon flashing yellow. The message said something along the lines of one of my Drives in the ZPool was in an Unknown State and should be replaced?

When Viewing Disks one of the HDDs is completely missing so I am a bit stumped as to how to "Unmount" it using ZPOOL Replace?? Sorry not at my NAS box at the mo.

I have an old spare 1TB HDD that I could stick in for the time being.

My first Immediate Action of course will be o check that the drive has not become disconnected but I did notice shortly after booting my NAS when I first started to transfer data a couple of slight short buzzing zzz noises. I could not work out whether this was from my 2 x External HDDs which were also on and one of them was in use or the NAS??

I'm guessing I can identify which HDD is disconnected / failed by looking at the info on the other two that are still showing in "View Disks".

Any other help about how to prepare for and carry out a proper replacement and rebuild of the Z Pool would be appreciated??

Thanks

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
OK so I have done some more checks.

1. I dismantled the FreeNAS box and double checked connections one power connection was strained but still connected.

2. Reconnected and one drive is still not recognised when selecting 'View Disks' and when selecting 'View Volume' it shows 3 x Drives? or is that 3 x VDEVs - ada0p2, ada1p2, ada2p2 - all are ONLINE but ada0p2 showed 2 Checksum errors. I then ran a scrub and in a Shell ran 'zpool status' and ada0p2 showed 479 Write Errors and some Read Erros also???

3. I have now disconnected the drive from the FreeNAS to test it, I installed it in a USB enclosure and in Windows I ran Western Digitals Data Lifeguard and it passed the short test, I was going to run the long test but it said 10 hours remaining.

4. I have now connected the HDD to a spare SATA connector in my main PC and have booted using SPINRITE I am now running a level 4 test its been running 25 mins and says "168 hrs 50 mins remaining" - that's like 7 days!!!

Questions Please:
1. How can I tell if this drive is toast? Its brand new and I need to confirm its dead / dying so I can return it?

2. How do I add a different spare HDD to re-build the zpool if I couldn't use the zpool replace as ithe drive was not available?

Couple of pics attached:
Screen shot 2013-01-27 at 13.14.32.jpg
Screen shot 2013-01-27 at 13.12.59.png
PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.