Migrate HDDs to new system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Demand

Dabbler
After running FreeNAS on a system that was never meant to operate as a NAS server (AMD cpu, no Intel NIC, no ECC, not enough memory, it goes on and on) I'm upgrading to grown-up hardware: Supermicro X10 MB, unbuffered 16gb ECC, Core i3 (maybe xeon, we'll see). However, I plan to use my existing HDDs ( 4 x 1TB WD reds currently in Raid-Z) and my existing USB stick on a MB header. What should I expect here? I'd rather not have to save all my data elsewhere during the migration. Can I simply plug in?

danb35

Hall of Famer
You can simply plug in. You might need to reconfigure your network settings, if you've manually configured them (if they're configured via DHCP, probably not). Everything else should Just Work (tm).

Phil Demand

Dabbler
Thanks
My MB will be a Supermicro X10SLQ. Any idea whether or not I'll need a SATA controller card, or will FreeNAS supper its onboard SATA?

danb35

Hall of Famer
That's a desktop board that doesn't support ECC, so not the best choice for FreeNAS. The odds are very good that the SATA ports will be supported just fine, but I'd recommend the SLM/SLL/SLH instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.