Disk Disappeared How Do I Safely Replace It

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Hi;

Started a post on this problem here http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?11024-HELP!!!-One-of-Three-HDDs-Unkown-State-RAIDZ1 but I am getting no responses so I thought I'd try here (Sorry).

One of my drive disappeared from my ZPOOL, I think the drive is U/S and I am testing it to confirm but am having problems. Anyway I have a spare 1TB HDD but how do I go about using this Drive as a temp replacement. I have read the manual but cannot find anything about when the Drive just disappears I can only find info on taking dead drives OFFLINE problem is I haven't got that option as its not available.

HELP : (

JonnyAlpha

Contributor

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Looks like you're trying to replace with the same disk that failed...

You need to wipe zfs metadata from it...

Try this:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada0p2 bs=1m count=5

Then go to Volumes -> View Disks -> ada0 -> Wipe (select quick wipe)

Now try replace disk again as you did before.

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Hi;

Thanks for the reply and I'll test it tonight.

However, I place a post on Tech Support Forums about how to test the presumed failed drive and was provided a copy of the tech specs for the drives that I had purchased (Western Digital Caviar Green) an it woul appear that they are designed for use as secondary storage drives. The person who repsonded to the thread says that they should not be used in RAID arrays. Does anyone on here concur i.e. would you class ZFS as a RAID array or as ZFS is a software RAID should they be OK??

The link to the post thread is here: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f16/is-my-hdd-dead-or-dying-684826.html

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Looks like you're trying to replace with the same disk that failed...

You need to wipe zfs metadata from it...

Try this:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada0p2 bs=1m count=5

Then go to Volumes -> View Disks -> ada0 -> Wipe (select quick wipe)

Now try replace disk again as you did before.

I finished testing the HDD using WDs Data Life Guard and it passed all tests??? So I replaced it in the NAS, along with my other spare, put it back on the same SATA connector but just in case I change the cable for another spare. I booted up the NAS box and all 4 drives where now visible in FreeNAS??

The alert icon was still yellow saying that the volume was in an unknown state.

I opened shell and entered zpool FreeNAS clear, then ran zpool status and all seemed ok, I logged out of FreeNAS then back in and the ALERT icon is now green and volume is OK and healthy??

Maybe the cable was the problem, maybe it will happen again - in fact while I am sat here I am occasionally getting an annoying noise from the NAS box its a faint buzz like a HDD reading??? I guess I'll just keep an eye on it, can't afford any more drives at the mo anyway??

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Oops - ALERT icon just went yellow again stating that the volume is in an unknown state however, all drives are visible but when viewing volume status all show ONLINE but ada0p2 (The poss dodgy drive) has 274 in the checksum column which I guess is not good??

paleoN

Wizard
ada0p2 (The poss dodgy drive) has 274 in the checksum column which I guess is not good??
Yes, not good. From an SSH session as root output of:
Code:
smartctl -q noserial -a /dev/ada0

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Not tried the ssh code posted by paleoN yet but things are getting kind of wierd, I just switched the NAS on today and logged in and everything is sweet, no alert, all fours disks are shown in View Disks and when Viewing Volumes all three Devices in the Virtual Device are listed as ONLINE and READ / WRITE / CHECKSUM columns are all zero's!!! Do these columns reset every time you do a cold boot??

cyberjock

Inactive Account
They do reset on each reboot. Please keep your topic to the original question. If you have a new question please start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.