Help me pick a motherboard

errr

Dabbler
Hi, I’m trying to build a small and efficient media server based on TN Scale and have had a hard time finding a motherboard that fit my requirements and was hoping for some guidance. My requirements include
- mini ITX
- ability to use igpu for transcoding
- supports low TDP cpu options like intel “T” cpus
- ECC memory support
- support for 6+ sata ports onboard or via HBA
- around $200USD (used is fine)

Options I’m considering:
Supermicro X11SCV-QeBay link
- No ECC support but meets all other requirements
SuperMicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2FeBay link
- No igpu
SuperMicro X11SCL-IFeBay link
- expensive
- no igpu support

It seems that meeting all these requirements is likely impossible, its looking like the hardest one to satisfy is the capability to use igpu because of onboard IMPI graphics cards. I was just hoping someone here might have some suggestions that meet at least most of my requirements that I haven’t come across yet. Thanks.

Etorix

Wizard
Not an expert, but why not an i3 9100 CPU with iGPU with SuperMicro X11SCL-IF?
@errr appears to have done some good research, and has listed the board in his post with two negatives including "no iGPU support". Because Plex transcoding is supported with the C246 chipset but not with the C242 chipset.

Hi, I’m trying to build a small and efficient media server based on TN Scale and have had a hard time finding a motherboard that fit my requirements and was hoping for some guidance. My requirements include
- mini ITX
- ability to use igpu for transcoding
- supports low TDP cpu options like intel “T” cpus
- ECC memory support
- support for 6+ sata ports onboard or via HBA
- around $200USD (used is fine)
AsRockRack E3C246D2I or E3C246D4I-2T, Gigabyte C246N-WU2 would fit the requirement list, with the likely exception of price, if you can find one.
Note that T CPUs are considered unhelpful for NAS: A NAS is idle most of the time, but when the CPU ramps up, the general wisdom is that a regular CPU will complete its task faster than the T, come back to idle earlier and actually use less power overall.

You'd have more options for socketed boards by going micro-ATX.
If micro-ATX is not an option, an X10SDV with a dGPU could be the best choice: Cheaper RDIMM, IPMI and 10 GbE on-board.
With a socketed CPU and higher clock (for SMB), X11SCV-Q is the budget option, but has only 5 SATA and requires more expensive SO-DIMM RAM. The above C246 boards all have 8 SATA ports (with breakout cables), but will likely break the budget.

errr

Dabbler
Good to know about the “T” CPUs. I’m in a smallll studio apartment and will likely be moving soon so keeping things as small as possible is a pretty big priority. Therefore mini-ITX is one requirement that I’m not trying to compromise on despite how limiting it is. Thinking about just getting the X11SCV-Q for the time being until my budget can accommodate for a “real” server motherboard like the X10SDV and shifting the the X11SCV-Q to a SFF desktop build.
How would a dGPU contribute to the overall power usage?

elorimer

Contributor
I've been so close to pulling the trigger on one of these, and each time I come up against three negatives: the 10GbE on-board is 1 or 10, with nothing in between. So to take advantage of it means 10GbE switches and new copper cabling. It sounds like the 10GbE and CPU run hot, but I haven't figure out just how hot or how much power it draws. And third, no USB3 header (less of a problem).

I didn't think the lack of hardware transcoding was much of an issue with the Xeon Ds, though.

errr

Dabbler
the 10GbE on-board is 1 or 10, with nothing in between.
Wasn’t aware of this but at least for my use case this wouldn’t be a deal breaker.
It sounds like the 10GbE and CPU run hot, but I haven't figure out just how hot or how much power it draws.
This however may be. As I mentioned before I live in a studio apartment so I have nowhere to “hide” my server so if it’s hot and loud (from fans) that’s a big minus.
I didn't think the lack of hardware transcoding was much of an issue with the Xeon Ds, though.
The Xeon has a pass mark score of 5876. According to Plex’s docs, passmark score / 2000 = approx # of 1080p transcodes. So for the Xeon that’s a hair under 3. While that’s nothing to write home about, it’s probably enough for me. My ISP only gives me 15Mbps up so I don’t think I could upload any more than 3 1080p steams even if my server could handle it.