Help installing on an server

Yoshman98

Cadet
Hello, I'm trying to install the most recent version on a server from 2014/15. It has a xeon core and 16gb ram. I installed 2 new wd red plus drives and tried to install the program but it does not seem to work. Do i need to install a 3rd hd for the OS? Will installing from a flash drive work or does it need to be on an external ssd to install?

Any help would be awesome!

P.S. New to truenas

danb35

Hall of Famer
Do i need to install a 3rd hd for the OS?
Were you able to run the installer? If so, it should have given you this screen:
1634154510856.png

Yoshman98

Cadet
I did get that message but it said installing on flash media is discouraged. I clicked yes anyway it appeared to install then said to remove and reboot and i did and all i got was no proper boot media selected. i tried this 2x same both times

Evertb1

Guru
Please be so kind to provide us with your system information in the format as described in the forum rules. That way the road to correct answers is much shorter.

From your post I can't see if those 2 WD red plus drives are your intented drives for a storage pool or what other purpose they have.
If you want to install TrueNAS you need at least:
  • A bootable device with the TrueNAS installer on it like an USB stick, an CD or an ISO file if you can use a virtual CD player or anythhing else you can lay your hand on for this purpose.
  • A bootdevice for the OS. Preferably an SSD. USB sticks by now are not recommended. Please note: The boot device will not be available for your data storage. It will be used only for TrueNAS.
  • Read the manual. It's not hard to find (See Doucmentation link at the top of this page). It's not all that hard to read and has a quit good paragraph about installing TrueNAS.

Last edited:

Evertb1

Guru
flash media is discouraged
In fact it is not. Istalling on an USB stick is disgouraged. An SSD is alright. While that is also flash media it's much more robust and suited as boot drive for TrueNAS.

danb35

Hall of Famer
it said installing on flash media is discouraged.
What is "it"? The message I showed you above says the opposite. What told you that flash media was discouraged?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, flash media of the crappy USB variety *is* discouraged, regardless of the message shown above. It should really say "SSD or DOM is preferred".

Evertb1

Guru
It should really say SSD or DOM is preferred
I agree. I wonder how much work it would be for the devteam to change that slightly confusing text. This has been the source of many misunderstandings.

Redcoat

MVP
Well, @Yoshman98 , it's not clear to me from your posts just how many devices you had involved in your install. You had two new red+ HDD's, and you had the iso burned to (I assume) a usb stick or other flash medium. The installer apparently ran OK.

So what did you select for the installer to install the OS on? You asked if you needed a 3rd HDD for the OS - well, you did need something, a bootable device (one that your BIOS could find), to write the OS to - these days SSD's are typically recommended over usb sticks as the latter are very often of poor quality and can't take the duty, failing quickly (if they work out at all).