Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

1nv1n

Cadet
Been on the forums for a while, but hadn't gotten around to making an account. I've had my FreeNAS build going smooth for the better part of a year now though.

Here's my setup:
Motherboard: SuperMicro MBD-X10SLM+-F-O uATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor]
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory]
Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

1 16 GB Sandisk USB as the boot drive
4 WD Red 4 TBs in RAID 10
1 256 GB SSD for Plex Metadata & Jails

The main reason to build this was Plex + I've always wanted to build a home server.
I'm getting around to installing other plugins - starting with SickRage & Transmission.
Planning on setting up CrashPlan soon. I tried setting up OpenVPN in a Jail, but wasn't successful.
I'm also hosting a small website (a node.js App) from a Jail & so far it's been working just fine.

gpsguy

Welcome to the forums!

Glad to hear that FreeNAS is satisfying your needs.

Sent from my phone

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
I tried setting up OpenVPN in a Jail, but wasn't successful.

Welcome and glad things are working out well for you. From what I have seen on the forums trying to have FreeNas handle VPN is not the best idea. Instead, I would suggest having that piece handled outside of FreeNas. Maybe if your router is compatible with DD-WRT or similar?

1nv1n

Cadet
Welcome and glad things are working out well for you. From what I have seen on the forums trying to have FreeNas handle VPN is not the best idea. Instead, I would suggest having that piece handled outside of FreeNas. Maybe if your router is compatible with DD-WRT or similar?

It's Google's Network Box. I'm going to try & build a pfSense box for myself to use OpenVPN & not have FreeNAS do any of the VPN stuff.

Mirfster

I'm going to try & build a pfSense box for myself to use OpenVPN & not have FreeNAS do any of the VPN stuff.
Going the same route here. Just ordered a box from NetGate (same company that makes PFSense boxes) for about $150.00 less. Already installed PFSense on an older machine and liked it a lot; so I am "sold". :)

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Just ordered a box from NetGate (same company that makes PFSense boxes) for about $150.00 less.
Would you mind sharing a link to that $150 savings.
I went to NetGate's website and the "buy direct" link took me to the pfSense website???
Did you buy from a third party?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
The 2220 model (that I would be interested in) is $299 at both sites :( :mad:
Curse you for getting my hopes up! ***just kidding***
When I read your post, I turned to find my wallet, before they were all gone!

Scareh

Contributor
Can't say I agree with you Mirfster, there are plenty of people, including myself, who have openvpn working on their freenas boxes.

Same thing applies to having openvpn on freenas or on pfsense box, you need port forwarding and you need your updates done when they are out.
And i must say, why have 2 different boxes running when you can do it on 1.

Mirfster

And i must say, why have 2 different boxes running when you can do it on 1
Personally, I do it because I prefer to use dedicated hardware for their specific roles. That way, I am not SOL if the machine housing a VM instance of PFSense were down. Since (for me) PFSense is a dedicated box, I could still VPN in and connect via BMC/IPMI to troubleshoot the "down" box. As well, if I were to bounce any of my boxes then VPN connectivity would not be interrupted. Same applies to the clients I support.

The 2220 model (that I would be interested in) is $299 at both sites :( :mad:
Curse you for getting my hopes up! ***just kidding***
When I read your post, I turned to find my wallet, before they were all gone!
Hmm, not sure on that model, but I purchased the "NetGate RCC-VE 4860"; which was $150.00 cheaper than SG-4860 at PFSense's site. When I was first looking, I noticed the same $150.00 difference on the smaller model as well (SG-2440). Right now both sites are down (guess they are the same host) so I can't check it out.

But here is my proof (SG-4860 would have been $778.00 w/o tax & shipping): :)
upload_2016-2-22_7-41-47.png

Status
Not open for further replies.