Hello from St. Louis, Missouri -- United States

night vision

Cadet
Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself.

I'm just a rando dude from the midwest, married 27 years with a passion and love for everything electronic. I'm a total gadget freak and love to be around computers. I'm highly social with most everyone, easy to get along with and willing to put in the extra effort to learn a new thing or two.

Formerly IT, just bounced around so much during the early 90's and 2000's that it left me burnt out. From that point I was a stay at home dad (though it has plenty of rewards, it is super boring being at home by yourself all day) and we started investing in real estate in 2013. We have eight rental properties and are currently looking for a small apartment complex if the bank is willing to lend. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ This past year, I went back to work full time for a good friend in the house building industry. I'm the goto guy for electronics and low voltage wiring.

Like all of you, I have lots of data. Before you get to the ripped movies, I have hundreds of gigs of music and family photos which have been scanned for weeks and of course our business files and terabytes of personal stuff from the past 25 years of saving hard drives....so that's what prompted me to move on from two QNAP TS-419 P+ Turbo NAS and build my own. Had some trouble at first with hardware issues which were quickly resolved with the help of a couple superhuman folks on this forum and we've been up and running for over a month. It's backed up via Veeam which is a great (and free) piece of software if you have under five terabytes to back up.

I'm into astronomy, have several older style Meade LX200 telescopes and of course into radio controlled model planes (mostly sailplanes) and helicopters.

That's about it... I enjoy coming to this forum because it's active and an overwhelming majority of you have incredible knowledge of the inner workings of TrueNAS. I look forward to applying what I learned to my own equipment.

Many thanks for taking the time to read that.

All the best,

Phil

Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself.

I'm just a rando dude from the midwest, married 27 years with a passion and love for everything electronic. I'm a total gadget freak and love to be around computers. I'm highly social with most everyone, easy to get along with and willing to put in the extra effort to learn a new thing or two.

Formerly IT, just bounced around so much during the early 90's and 2000's that it left me burnt out. From that point I was a stay at home dad (though it has plenty of rewards, it is super boring being at home by yourself all day) and we started investing in real estate in 2013. We have eight rental properties and are currently looking for a small apartment complex if the bank is willing to lend. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ cubes 2048 This past year, I went back to work full time for a good friend in the house building industry. I'm the goto guy for electronics and low voltage wiring.

Like all of you, I have lots of data. Before you get to the ripped movies, I have hundreds of gigs of music and family photos which have been scanned for weeks and of course our business files and terabytes of personal stuff from the past 25 years of saving hard drives....so that's what prompted me to move on from two QNAP TS-419 P+ Turbo NAS and build my own. Had some trouble at first with hardware issues which were quickly resolved with the help of a couple superhuman folks on this forum and we've been up and running for over a month. It's backed up via Veeam which is a great (and free) piece of software if you have under five terabytes to back up.

I'm into astronomy, have several older style Meade LX200 telescopes and of course into radio controlled model planes (mostly sailplanes) and helicopters.

That's about it... I enjoy coming to this forum because it's active and an overwhelming majority of you have incredible knowledge of the inner workings of TrueNAS. I look forward to applying what I learned to my own equipment.

Many thanks for taking the time to read that.

All the best,

Phil
Hi, I am also a new member.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Welcome aboard!

Before you jump off the deep end into building a NAS with TrueNAS or FreeNAS, you'll have to do some reading first.
  1. ZFS Primer
  2. The path to success for block storage
  3. Please do not run FreeNAS in production as a Virtual Machine!
  4. "Absolutely must virtualize FreeNAS!" ... a guide to not completely losing your data.
  5. What's all the noise about HBA's, and why can't I use a RAID controller?
  6. Some differences between RAIDZ and mirrors, and why we use mirrors for block storage
  7. Path to Success for Structuring Datasets in Your Pool
  8. Path to success for system upgrades
I apologize for inflicting such heavy tomes on you, but FreeNAS/TrueNAS is an enterprise-level storage solution, so there are many more knobs and dials available than on a desktop OS. It absolutely requires and rewards coherent planning before installation, and a cautious and disciplined approach to daily/weekly/monthly operations. You'll need to have a plan for recovering from oopses, and to learn best practices to minimize the risks associated with any configuration change. As an enterprise solution, it assumes you know what you're doing, so there's a lot less of a safety net than on a desktop.