Hello from Denmark

realnikolaj

Cadet
I'm currently expecting arrival of the remaining parts for my first FreeNAS build.
Am really excited to be looking into ZFS and FreeNAS with this build and please, do rate or bash - all feedback is appreciated.
The systems purpose is SOHO / Private NAS and may also serve as a hyper-visor, although it's not my main objective atm.
I'm planning on parring it with a Pfsense build of my own coupled with an independent AP from Meraki, and maybe if im lucky a 10 Gb managed switch with PoE.
I've chosen to go with mirrored vdevs, because from what I've gathered, it's the least complicated configuration and the statistics looks alright to me with the 2 x mirrored vdevs + bonus is read-speed, because speed is fun.

Hardware:
Case: Fractal Define R5 Titanium (no window)
Mobo: Supermicro X11SSM-F
CPU: Re-purposed i3-6100 (Looking for an upgrade to at least E3-1245 v6 to max out the boards potential.
RAM: 2 x 16 GB ECC from Crucial - After new case fans, this will be upgraded to 4 x 16 GB for the same reason as above.
PSU: Corsair AX760, to accomodate the case potential of 13 drives, 11 x 3.5 HDD's with 2 x 5.25 bay -> 3 x 3.5 bay converter + 2 SSD mounts.
HDD: 4 x 4TB Seagate Ironwolfs 5900 rpm (non-pro) - goal here is 8 total disk again for the same reason of maxing out the motherboards potential. (X11SSM-F have 8 SATA3.0 headers)

Still missing: UPS - any hints for small form factor one? I don't need large capacity as power outage doesn't exist in Denmark.

Greetings

gpsguy

Welcome to the forums!

It looks like a great system.