Hello from Norway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xyz-cases

Dabbler
Hello! My name is Tom and I'm from Norway.

I'm currently gathering parts for my first FreeNAS build ever. So far these are the components I've gathered.

1 x SUPERMICRO MBD-X8DTT-F Motherboard.
1 x ATX PSU 24Pin + CPU 8Pin Female To 20Pin Male power Cable For Supermicro X8DTT
2 x Intel Xeon Quad Core 2.4Ghz E5620 Processor CPU SLBV4 matched pair
12 x 4GB Kingston Memory DDR3 PC3-10600 1333 240Pin ECC Unbuffer 2Rx8 KVR1333D3E9S/4G - 48 GB Total.

1 x Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 6G SAS/SATA PCIe x8 3.0 Raid Controller for HDD SSD 1Gb Cache Raid 0,1,1E,5,6,10,50,60, HBA IT mode
1 x Adaptec PMC AFM-700 CC Kondensator Cache Batterie Backup für Adaptec Raid Controller inkl. Kabel
4 x Amphenol SFF-8643 SFF 8643 to 4 SATA fan out cable,8643 Host to 4 SATA target 1m

2x HP Z400 "complete" without RAM and Harddrives

Images can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/u6KGROv

I'm currently looking for some panel-mounted SATA-with-power plug, like this:
r1KaCPF.jpg

If someone knows where to find them, please tell me where! I can't find them available for consumers anywhere.
I want to make something like this backplane for my custom build case (currently designing it.)
awenvrf.jpg

For a HDD-cage solution like one row of this:
pkosZjz.jpg

Like I said I'm new to this so if you see a problem with my hardware or can help me find the parts I'm looking for all comments are welcome.

-Tom

kdragon75

Wizard
1 x Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 6G SAS/SATA PCIe x8 3.0 Raid Controller for HDD SSD 1Gb Cache Raid 0,1,1E,5,6,10,50,60, HBA IT mode
Have you been able to confirm true HAB mode on this card? This and SMART passthrough are extremely important for ZFS/FreeNAS to monitor and detect failures before a drive goes offline. I also don't see any notes about the sata multipliers. These have a bad reputation with FreeNAS as support is iffy at best in most cases. If you have been able to verify that these will work I would love do see some documentation or testing that you have done as it could be quite valuable to others.

xyz-cases

Dabbler
Have you been able to confirm true HAB mode on this card? This and SMART passthrough are extremely important for ZFS/FreeNAS to monitor and detect failures before a drive goes offline. I also don't see any notes about the sata multipliers. These have a bad reputation with FreeNAS as support is iffy at best in most cases. If you have been able to verify that these will work I would love do see some documentation or testing that you have done as it could be quite valuable to others.
I haven't, I'm testing it as soon as I receive the cables. I have a lead on a LSI00244 9201-16i PCI-Express 2.0 x 8 SATA / SAS Host Bus Adapter Card if the Adaptec doesn't work, but I found a forum thread where a guy said he had used the Adaptec HBA without problems.

I bought the Adaptec card after the recommendation from a friend who works with servers everyday, but I don't think he read the recommended hardware list.

I only have about 285$ in this so far so I can afford to buy another HBA if it doesn't work out.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.