Hello from Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyleLand

Cadet
My name is Lyle. I'm a Research Engineer (ChE) but not an IT guy.

I'm currently running a hardware raid but considering switching to FreeNAS after all the rave reviews.

Any advice is always welcome.

Thanks

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Welcome to the forums!
Read the resources section, FreeNAS should not be run on hardware RAID so there will
be an adjustment of how your drives interface with the OS.

LyleLand

Cadet
Hi Dave,
Thanks for responding. I do realize that. But that's about the extent of my knowledge so far. LOL

I have ton of drives. So i'll probably run both FreeNAS & hardware for a while during the learning curve.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Hi Dave,
Thanks for responding. I do realize that. But that's about the extent of my knowledge so far. LOL

I have ton of drives. So i'll probably run both FreeNAS & hardware for a while during the learning curve.
I started 4-1/2 years ago with an old consumer board and used two drives to form a simple mirrored pool. The GUI was fairly easy but the CLI was a mystery to me back then. My advice is to get your hands dirty and learn to set up SMART testing and how to recover a failed/failing drive. It's good to learn early on how to break it and recover so that when IT happens, you will be
prepared when the inevitable happens.
Be prepared to spend time reading through the resources section AND of course the well documented Users Guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.