Hello FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeski

Cadet
Been lurking and reading for awhile; lots to learn.

My goal is to build a FreeNAS box to store family photos and videos and use Plex for sharing those photos and videos, streaming movies and DVR.

I contemplated building a machine based on an LGA-2011 motherboard so that I could get more bang for my buck with a used Xeon processor and DDR3 but I'm thinking building something based on the current recommendations might be less of a headache.

The FreeNAS community here looks active and very supportive which I think is great.

Jesse

Last edited by a moderator:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Welcome sir.

A word of advice: the smartest thing I ever did was not try to cheap out, or re-use older, less suitable, used equipment. Three years ago when I started, and showed @cyberjock a build I had in mind that made a few pennies scream, he said to me, "Listen, this is what I do. Trust me, and buy the right, new, stuff. If you don't, you will save $100 and have $500 of hassle. I've seen it in the forum every day." And that was the best advice I ever heeded. I bought brand new everything, SuperMicro X10-based system, new WD reds, and the whole thing was like $1000. And never has one single solitary bit been out of place, EVER, on this NAS. I would encourage you to heed the same advice (except, nowadays I'd recommend an X11-based build).

jeski

Cadet
Welcome sir.

A word of advice: the smartest thing I ever did was not try to cheap out, or re-use older, less suitable, used equipment. Three years ago when I started, and showed @cyberjock a build I had in mind that made a few pennies scream, he said to me, "Listen, this is what I do. Trust me, and buy the right, new, stuff. If you don't, you will save $100 and have $500 of hassle. I've seen it in the forum every day." And that was the best advice I ever heeded. I bought brand new everything, SuperMicro X10-based system, new WD reds, and the whole thing was like $1000. And never has one single solitary bit been out of place, EVER, on this NAS. I would encourage you to heed the same advice (except, nowadays I'd recommend an X11-based build).
Your advice is greatly appreciated. I will take it and hopefully save some myself some headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.