Hello FreeNAS gurus

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningwon

Dabbler
Greetings:

I have been lurking for quite a while during which I have built and rebuilt my temporary freenas box (just old junk laying around with 4 new 4TB drives to get familiar with data storage)

About me:

I am a network engineer/ systems integrator. I mostly work with CISCO stuff on the networking side. We use RIVERBEDS for network acceleration.

I've always had my hands a little bit into Linux but I haven't been this much into it for a while so I had to relearn allot of basics and i'm still trying to get back to where I used to be when i did it on a daily basis.

What I have so far is a PFSENSE router running on an old DELL R210, and on another old Dell R210 I installed ESXI that has UBUNTU server that will hosts of my network services (right now it is running only nextcloud)

Through all of my trials and tribulations with freenas I think it is best for me to build a NAS only box and run everything else on the ESXI server. I have not decided on my freenas hardware yet, either buying it from IX systems or building my own.

Anyways, i'm glad to be part of the group and hopefully later I can contribute.

Last edited:
Welcome. Do you access to any old Cisco servers? I have two FreeNAS boxes running on C240 M3S and they work great. The only thing you need to replace is the RAID controller. Look for an LSI 9207-8i.

morningwon

Dabbler
Welcome. Do you access to any old Cisco servers? I have two FreeNAS boxes running on C240 M3S and they work great. The only thing you need to replace is the RAID controller. Look for an LSI 9207-8i.

Unfortunately no, but I will look into it!

I always think of servers like DELL, I totally forgot that there were some CISCO servers out there.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.