Hello Everybody

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvandam

Cadet
Hi all,

Sorry if this gets a little lengthy. My name is Jared, and I'd like to give a little background on my project while I introduce myself. I'm an amateur when it comes to this stuff, so I thought I would sign up for this forum to get some advice. I've had this grand idea floating around in my head for a while about making a complete home automation system, while being able to use existing computers/hardware that I have laying around. Part of this would include having my own home server. What I have is the following:

Desktop (2005 era)
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz
MoBo: Intel D915GUX
80 GB Hard Drive
3 Gig RAM
Graphics card died over a year ago

Laptop:
HP Pavilion Dv7-6135dx

Nowadays, I pretty much do all of my computing on a Microsoft Surface and my mobile devices so the desktop and laptop get almost no use anymore. However, space is pretty limited on these devices so I really need a place to store all of my files. To put my old devices back into use, my initial thought was to buy some new hard drives and turn the old desktop into a home server. I'd like to run FreeNAS on it, but after doing some research on this website, I realized that the desktop is woefully inadequate to run FreeNAS. As a side bar, my new plan is to install LinuxMCE on both the desktop and laptop and use the desktop as a core/hybrid while the laptop becomes a media director, but that's a different discussion.

This does mean, however, that I will have to build my server from scratch. This is where I could use a second opinion. I read the recommended hardware page, so I'm basically building this off that page. I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible, while still meeting requirements. For now, this will only be used on my LAN, but I might expand out into the greater internet at a later time, once I become more familiar with the required security precautions. Here's what I'm thinking:

Case: Fractal Node 304
MoBo: X9SCM-F
CPU: Pentium G2020
HDD: 2X 3TB WD reds
RAM: TBD, 16GB?
PSU: I could use some help on this one. Anybody have any solid recommendations?

Any advice and second opinions are welcomed. Thank you all in advance.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Case: Fractal Node 304
MoBo: X9SCM-F
CPU: Pentium G2020
HDD: 2X 3TB WD reds
RAM: TBD, 16GB?
PSU: I could use some help on this one. Anybody have any solid recommendations?

Any advice and second opinions are welcomed. Thank you all in advance.

That system probably won't support ECC (long story). Not really a problem, though, since there is no real reason to go with Ivy Bridge stuff instead of Haswell. You could also just go with a Xeon E3 v2 if you really want an X9 board, for some reason.
If you need help picking an X10 board and RAM, I have guides for that (check my sig).

Also, I'm fairly certain that the Node 304 is miniITX and will thus not take a microATX board.

Regarding the PSU, I'd recommend a Seasonic G-360 (or G-450 if you want modular cables).

That system probably won't support ECC (long story). Not really a problem, though, since there is no real reason to go with Ivy Bridge stuff instead of Haswell.
If you want to go cheap see here https://communities.intel.com/message/283354#283354 the answer from Intel for Pentiums and Celerons that support ECC.
One would say, that source can be trusted, however, the whole ECC support is a complete mess for non-Xeon CPUs.

Also, I'm fairly certain that the Node 304 is miniITX and will thus not take a microATX board.
Definetly true.
What about the Fractal Design Define Mini or Node 804 instead?

The Node 804 is a great box, if you have the room for it.

jvandam

Cadet
Wow. Ok. Good thing I asked. That could have been a bit of a mess if I had started ordering everything. Thanks for the links. Those are a big help. I'm going to do a little more research and take another stab at this.

jvandam

Cadet
Take 2. How does this sound?

Case: Fractal Node 804
MoBo: X10SLM-F
CPU: Pentium G3240. This one should support ECC if I'm not mistaken.
HDD: 2 X 3TB WD Reds
RAM: Crucial PC3-12800 DDR3 ECC. I know 8GB is the recommended minimum, but based on your guys' collective experience, is it wise to go with only 8 or should I go straight to 16GB?
PSU: Seasonic S12G-450

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You should also start planning out how you want your pool layed out. It's something you should think about during the build/purchase and not after. You can expand as you grow but not like how most people think you can.

jvandam

Cadet
I was just planning on a simple mirror setup. 3TB should be plenty of space for me for quite some time, and then having a second 3TB as backup should suffice. I'm also considering buying an external hard drive as an additional backup drive that I can put into my fireproof safe for additional safety of my data.

Status
Not open for further replies.