Decided to Build NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Market Guru

Dabbler
Hello FreeNAS Community,

I do not have background in Linux as I use Windows solely for my work. I recently decided to add a NAS to my home so I can stop losing data on my WD Green Drives. A total of 3 has failed.

My current setup
3960X
Asus REIV
2 x CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMD32GX3M4A1600C9
256GB OCZ Vertex 4
120GB OCZ Vertex (Download)
WD GREEN 1TB (DATA)

I have other WD drives offline: WD RE 7200 1TB, WD Portable drives 1TB, WD Blue 2.5 250GB (Laptop drive)

I have few things I like to ask of the community.

If I convert this desktop to NAS would this be over kill? I thought about using ASRock Avoton.

This setup is missing support for ECC.

I would like to add quad link network card and 10gigabit switch from netgear managed.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Using a desktop as NAS is a bad idea for a bunch of reasons. If you want to do this right go shopping for components that are more in-line with our hardware recommendations stickies.

Market Guru

Dabbler
Thank you for the direction, I had some times to study that hardware list. I was also very interested in building a SSD version, BUT not any time soon until we have more tools to monitor health of SSD under this environment. (As per recommendation)

My home has old Cat5 wired in majority of the rooms from the basement where cable coaxial comes in from the outside.
Q 1: Should consider upgrading to plastic optical fibre (POF) and look for related hardware or should I use Cat 7 (not standardized yet)?
Q2: Any possibility of wiring the home without damaging the walls (no sawing or cutting)? Any tools for this task?

Q3: After RJ45 or POF, I would like to know since managed switches like Netgear M7100 would be ideal for what I would like to build, a 10GbE+ network, are there other recommendation which will lower the cost of similar 10GbE switches? I could not find switches that also support 10GbE under $1k?

This is only because I like a network that can support minimum 550MB/s transfer. (Roughly equal 4400Mb/s) This transfer would be better support on 10GbE.

Q4: I would like to support more drives. Will LSI HBA 9300-8i be supported under new FreeNAS? I read a few threads regarding it had issues but resolved? Could I get a confirmation of this? Thank you

Q5: I read on threads where FreeNAS is CPU intensive so would ASRock Avoton weak for this task? Do we need Xeon grade?

Thank you FreeNAS community, this will most likely answer a lot of my hardware troubles.
Thank you cyberjock for answering my Intro.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Q1- You tell us. It's up to you if its worth the money and will provide a benefit...
Q2 -You tell us... do you have access to undersides like the basement or the attic? We can't answer this question.
Q3 - Again, you tell us. When it comes to networking hardware some have features you might need, others won't. Only you can truely make that decision.
Q4 - Ask LSI.. they make the drivers for FreeBSD
Q5 - Again, you tell us. There's plenty of info on what the Avotons can and can't do. If you think it will work for what you plan to use it for, then go for it. If you need more power then look at the Xeons.

Sorry, but we can't answer all of your questions. Alot of them are as personal as underwear. Only you can decide for yourself.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The mpr driver for the LSI SAS3008 SAS 12Gb/s controller is included starting with 9.2.1.6, so 9300-series cards should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.