Hello from Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quebecman

Dabbler
Hello from Montreal!

At the non profit where I work, I am on a mission to setup a NAS server to migrate to in the coming months. Eventually, I will upgrade the hardware, but for now I'm running on this hardware that was available, save the brand spanking new NAS and portable HDDs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93 GHz
6GB DDR3 Ram (non ECC) - less than recommended, I know but good for testing purposes so far, and for the learning curb
Lenovo motherboard
3 x 1TB WD Red = 1,8TB total data
2 x 16GB Lexar USB drives
2 x backup portable drives on a weekly rotation of 1 TB each (we need about 15% of that so far).

It's been a positive experience so far, including the problems I am running into as I write this, which teach a great lesson in using FreeNAS and running a server.

We're a small team, so "bigger" hardware is not a pressing issue so far, plus we're not "live" yet.

See you around!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Welcome!

As you pointed out, your system doesn't meet the recommended minimum requirements, so be sure not to store anything important on it! That said... If it boots for you, and gives you a good learning and testing environment, that's great. But I recommend you plan on acquiring more appropriate hardware for storing any critical data.

Good luck!

Quebecman

Dabbler
Found an extra 2GB of RAM, so I'm up to minimal specs for the test rig. Yay!

After reading the warnings around, I'd say I've been lucky so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.