dvd-boy says 'hi'

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvd-boy

Dabbler
Hi!

My name is Matt, and I'm a fairly 'green behind the ears' FreeNAS user!

I decided last year to buy and build a new, larger NAS Box, as I has outgrown my 5TB Thecus 4200Pro and was starting to get interested in Plex. After reading and re-reading Brian Moses' DIY NAS Blog, I decided to go for an ASROCK Avoton based system, running a RAID Z2. The whole process has been an interesting, yet terrifying experience:
  • I decided to purchase my 6TB WD Red Pro drives (x10) from 5 different vendors to try and 'spread the risk', as it was I still had 1 DOA drive.
  • Following posts both here and on Brian's Blog I did memory and drive burn in, which also meant cutting my teeth of Putty for the first time.
  • I've been unlucky enough that a drive has started developing errors after 6 months, so I will probably need to do a replacement soon.
I guess there's nothing else to say other than I'm so glad there is such a rich community supporting this software - I don't think I would have dared gone this route without it.

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Matt

joeschmuck

Old Man
Welcome to the forums.

Please ensure that you read our forum rules as it tells you key items we need to know if you as for help with an issue. Wow! WD Red Pro's, Based on the motherboard you purchased I think that may have been a bit overkill but maybe you have a need for the Pro line. My 2TB WD Red's have been running basically non-stop for just over 4.5 years without any issue and I expect them to superseed the 5 year mark.

Hope you enjoy our forums.

dvd-boy

Dabbler
Thanks Joe,

I think I definitely went overkill, but I hoped that in doing so I could 'over-engineer' the solution so that it could run as problem free as possible and figured the extra warranty was worth it.

All the best

joeschmuck

Old Man
Warranty does make a difference and if you got a good price on those hard drives then it may have been the best move for you. While I know you have one failure, I really hope you don't have another one for the life of the drives. If you do have more failures of these drives, I know the community would like to know.

dvd-boy

Dabbler
No problem, I've been keeping notes on where the drives were purchased from, their serial numbers and manufacturing date - I figured the data maybe of use to someone over the life of the drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.