hello and can you please change your captcha on the registration ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITIAB

Cadet
Hi.

I'm obviously intelligent enough to be in this forum because two captchas, both of which were worse than any I've seen in other forums have been passed.

Captchas are there to stop spam bots, not dissuade possible members from joining up and the captchas you have need spelling skills, a pre-read of a few forums and a knowledge that supermicro is a mobo brand (that we don't have in NZ).

Maybe a human test like how many legs on a spider, number of moons the earth has, how many suns do we orbit, etc etc might work better than the current ones.

Also NAS - what does it stand for, requires spelling skills some don't possess. Attached is a *itch of a word and frankly NAS also stands for Not Another Stupid ..... add your own ending here. :)

Anyway - gripe over. Mostly there because I know many wont join the forum and we might miss out on some benefit just because some wont make it past the captchas.

About Me. - I'm fron Nz, have 36 years of computer experience, remember when DOS came out, stored my first data on tapes, still remember punch cards and have put networks / storage systems in place in both the first and third world. (BNC, Cat5, Cat6, 2.4 and 5.8 long distance (60km plus), Novell, modem to modem, EOP, POE driven systems over 2.5km, solar powered, battery powered, human powered etc etc etc.

I'm Linux, Windows and Apple Experienced from (MS Dos 1.x , Windows 2.0, Caldera Debian rc 0.? back in the early 90s, apple Europlus IIE) through to current.

Been building networks since peer to peer meant telephone calls between 150cps modems with manual AT commands still a thing of the future. (e.g. dial other modem using phone, push the send button and push the button to set the baud rate).

Been building servers and storage systems almost as long. My favourite hack was an Apple II networked to an AT / 186 running dos, with printer shares and file sharing. ( all I will say is it involved a long parallel cable, terminal services running a telnet like protocol and a hardware hack in the middle).

Currently own and work for a business providing support for small to medium businesses (got sick of corporate) and looking at using NAS more than we do as lots of companies now need file sharing but not the full Linux box with mail, SAMBAFS, Active directory etc and who dont want to get sucked into the cloud.

We have Synology, DLink Asustor NAS boxes in play, set up Linux boxes with samba etc but want to work more in the embedded OS area (more robust and configurable) as most of the previous mentions are expensive for what you get, under whelming in their performance and dont talk standard protocols making rsynch etc hard to connect to them. also SSL hasn't been upgraded so are vulnerable with difficult choices re upgrade paths.

Looking forward to being part of this community.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The only captcha I remember is being asked what the third letter of the alphabet is.

Answer is c, by the way, not e.

ITIAB

Cadet
The only captcha I remember is being asked what the third letter of the alphabet is.

Answer is c, by the way, not e.

Gamma (ie Alpha Beta Gamma Delta .....) ? or in Maori there is no B. C D or F so the third is h

The registration has two questions:

Verification: What Does the Acronym "NAS" stand for? or what is our favourite Mobo was another question.

and another question to prove you aren't a spam bot.

That's two human / captcha checks and the questions are bloody awful to answer as you have to go searching through the forums to figure them out.

Alphabet, what's an alphabet?o_O

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Alphabet, what's an alphabet?o_O
It's the thing we use to trick students in their first year of studying English as a second language into thinking there is some sort of rhyme or reason behind how things are spelled or pronounced.

We might be using it as a captcha to reduce the number of forum users from Arkansas.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I thought the third letter of alphabet is 'p'.
"The alphabet", not "alphabet", they asked.

It's not much of a captcha if IBM decides to unleash Watson as an epic spambot. We should use paradoxes.

gpsguy

Perhaps we should ask slightly harder questions, like "What's the minimum number of drives that one can have in a degraded mirror"

alexg

Contributor
Hmm, how about "cyberjock" related question :)

Perhaps we should ask slightly harder questions, like "What's the minimum number of drives that one can have in a degraded mirror"
That is a good idea. Others include:
Minimum RAM requirements for FreeNAS?
Is ECC RAM recommended for FreeNAS?
Is FreeNAS based on Linux?
Should I show my hardware/software specs when posting a question?

:):):)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It seems we need stronger captchas.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Quite frankly, I just got done deleting over 1500 posts this morning from some dedicated spamming crew. Being a moderator sucks.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Quite frankly, I just got done deleting over 1500 posts this morning from some dedicated spamming crew. Being a moderator sucks.
Exactly my point. At first, it looked like a single account with a hundredish posts. Then I realized there were several accounts.

Getting people to invest an extra minute into the sign up process for the forums seems like a rather good idea.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
jg, your time and efforts are appreciated ;)
That was one big mess...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Exactly my point. At first, it looked like a single account with a hundredish posts. Then I realized there were several accounts.

Yeah, more than several, and many of the subfora were spammed as well.

Getting people to invest an extra minute into the sign up process for the forums seems like a rather good idea.

The real problem is that human labor is cheap and getting someone to set up the accounts isn't much of a deterrent.

Back in the days of USENET, we would use lots of metrics, including age of account, normal posting volume, delay between posts, uniqueness of content, whether or not there were URL's contained inside, how many times that URL had been posted, etc., to make some intelligent decisions about posting permission. I'm not impressed with the evolution of technology in 20 years.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
jg, your time and efforts are appreciated ;)
That was one big mess...

Wasn't just me, @dlavigne was busy roasting spammers with a flamethrower too. It isn't even clear to me what good it does for spammers to trash the forum with ... I think it was Korean.

The bad part is this forumware has limited abilities to target specific things and so it's more a matter of iterating through the forums. The forumware has some features to handle spam but they're kinda limited and so there's some additional complexity I am not going to discuss here. The bad part is that it seems pretty clear spammers are seeding the forum with unused accounts, but I am guessing Dru will be adding some chlorine to the user pool to handle the scum, and whatever gets through isn't going to have a pleasant time of it.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Wasn't just me, @dlavigne was busy roasting spammers with a flamethrower too. It isn't even clear to me what good it does for spammers to trash the forum with ... I think it was Korean.

The bad part is this forumware has limited abilities to target specific things and so it's more a matter of iterating through the forums. The forumware has some features to handle spam but they're kinda limited and so there's some additional complexity I am not going to discuss here. The bad part is that it seems pretty clear spammers are seeding the forum with unused accounts, but I am guessing Dru will be adding some chlorine to the user pool to handle the scum, and whatever gets through isn't going to have a pleasant time of it.
Then my thanks @dlavigne as well :D
Kudos to all our moderators here in the forum, you folks do a super job!!!

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I agree with BigDave. You have a very thankless job and but do know that it is appreciated by some of the members here.

I run a very small private forum (40 members) and they can be awful needy at times. But being a private invite only forum at least I don't have to deal with spammers. I can't imagine the work involved with a public forum with thousands of members.

Status
Not open for further replies.