Status
Not open for further replies.

arehgee

Cadet
New to FreeNAS and the Forums.

Here's my setup:

Motherboard: ThinkServer TS-140
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1225 V3
Memory and Disk: 4GB and 500 GB drive. Waiting for delivery of Crucial 16GB 2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory and WD Red NAS drive 3 TB.
Boot: 16 GB Sandisk USB3
Just upgraded to FreeNAS-9.10-MASTER

A new adventure.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Welcome to the forum!
FYI;
There has been issues with USB 3.0 thumb drives, search the forum posts
for more on this.
The recommended SanDisk model is
this one.

gpsguy

Welcome to the forums! I used to visit Toronto quite often, now I only visit Ontario a couple of times a year.

How do you plan to use your 500GB and 3TB drives? At a minimum, I might suggest getting another 3TB disk and mirroring them to provide some redundancy.

arehgee

Cadet
Welcome to the forum!
FYI;
There has been issues with USB 3.0 thumb drives, search the forum posts
for more on this.
The recommended SanDisk model is
this one.

Hi BigDave:

Thanks for the heads-up on the USB 3.0 thumb drives. The 16 GB flashdrive was to get the ball rolling. Yesterday, I installed a Samsung 120 GB 850 EVO SSD for bootup and 2 3 TB WD Red NAS drives for storage. Have to pickup some SATA 3 cables today before I can get them up and running. 2 x 8 GB memory sticks on the way. Steep learning curve for me.

R.

arehgee

Cadet
Welcome to the forums! I used to visit Toronto quite often, now I only visit Ontario a couple of times a year.

How do you plan to use your 500GB and 3TB drives? At a minimum, I might suggest getting another 3TB disk and mirroring them to provide some redundancy.

Hi gpsguy:

Thanks for your post-reply. I pulled the 500 GB drive and replaced it with a Samsung 120 GB SSD (gift from the bro!) Not sure if I can/should integrate it with the 2 WD drives. (2nd WD drive also a gift from the bro!) So, mirroring I believe is the best option for now.

R.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
FreeNAS-9.10-MASTER
Maybe you want to consider running the "Stable" (9.3) version for now since you are pretty new to FreeNas? As others have mentioned, it is best if you took some time to read up. I have some links in my signature which are great articles made by members.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
JFYI, but all these "rules" change completely in 9.10 and 10 - the underlying OS has gone up a major revision, as have the drivers.
Thanks for pointing that out Jordan.

I'm going to fire up a test machine with 9.10 this weekend,
I'm really looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.