Heh. Right. Ahem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

toolforger

Explorer
"Old fart" in IT, and proud of it.
Security-minded. Safety-minded. Reliability-minded.
Software engineer... Senior(tm) at work, For Fun(tm) at home.

Wants to set up a backup solution that's good enough to place all the paper cruft on electronic devices. Which means solid defenses against all the failure modes seen:
- Thick Finger Syndrome During Delete.
- Ransomware.
- Failing hardware.
- Future hell, high water or lightning.
Hates routine tasks, knowing that they will degrade to ritual and be forgotten eventually.

Knows that that's the ideal to be approached but never fully obtained :smile:

gpsguy

Welcome to the forums!

I am older than @joeschmuck and he's an old man. :smile:. Seriously we have users of all ages and experience levels on the forum.

Stux

MVP
Hopefully understands that RAID is not a replacement for backups

joeschmuck

Old Man
Welcome to the forums!

I am older than @joeschmuck and he's an old man. :). Seriously we have users of all ages and experience levels on the forum.
Oh yea, and there are days where I realize I'm an old man which almost scares me because I feel like I'm in my early 30's most days. @gpsguy well someone has to be older, guess you're it. ;)

But seriously, some of us older folks have a generation of computer experience and are patient enough to try to provide good sound advice. My first computer was a hexadecimal thing that didn't do much of anything but turn on an LED (yes we had LEDs back in the mid 1970's) and I've been building and programming computers ever since.

And Welcome to the forums!

toolforger

Explorer
Hopefully understands that RAID is not a replacement for backups

Heh. Lol. Yes, I do. I don't even RAID, I use a mirrored configuration.
FreeNAS with its Snapshots is going to be the on-site backup & time machine for the local machines, and there will be an off-site backup in a data center via Replication Tasks. I think that covers all bases (famous last words, of course :-D ).

Status
Not open for further replies.