HDD Spindown Timer

HDD Spindown Timer 2.2.0

Say Heading

Dabbler
As already my first (and faulty) technique to copy spindown_timer.sh (v 2.2.0) differed from your fetch or wget method I just went exactly the same path again just to be able to identify a possible fault on the way.
Downloaded on safari into my mac, unzipped, copied onto the trueNAS share and from there via terminal into it's final destination. After each step checked the checksum both on mac and via ssh. The checksum remained correct during each step. After making that new copy executable again and enabling the shutdown task everything works as expected.
So I must have made something (fundamentally) wrong in my first trial but cannot identify what it was.
Definitely version 2.2.0 does what it should do.
Thank you for your support and and some new insights into this unknown land of terminal & co.

Cheers and happy new year!

A short update here about my findings when I tested SCALE (Cobia).
I have to do this as <edit> as the thread seems to be closed for further replies, but I think it's worth mentioning.

SCALE tends to mess up drive names during booting so that using -u zpool is required to make sure the correct drives are monitored.

Testing the script via ssh might be troublesome unless you log in as root. SCALE forces you to create an admin account in the first place and root must thereafter be modified to have ssh access.

Adding the script via the GUI might require to be done as root also to give it the right permissions. But that is only a guess from my noobish side.

And finally shutdown will fail with script version 2.2.0 as the shutdown commend -p in FreeBSD/Core is not valid in Debian/SCALE.
Who urgently requires that option can simply replace -p by -h in line 586 of the script with shutdown -h now until @ngandrass updates his script.
Thanks to user Salvoxia over at GitHub for the heads up.
The whole discussion can be found in ngandrass's repository here
https://github.com/ngandrass/truenas-spindown-timer/issues/29

Last edited: