HDD performance issue during Badblocks???

Status
Not open for further replies.

maglin

Patron
So I just realized that I can see the histogram of my badblocks tests on the 8 drives I'm currently burning in. These are used 2TB HGST drives and want to ask a question I already think I have the answer to. None of these drives have ever had long SMART tests done on them. So I did my short and long tests and 2 of them have under 10 relocated sectors. So far I'm on the 4th and last test for bad blocks and one of the drives is showing a very strange write performance issue. I'm thinking it's just a bad drive even though on this particular drive the SMART tests didn't show anything meaningful. I can't pull the smart data atm so I'll have to wait until tomorrow when badblocks finishes. It's da11 in the pic. Starts off at 80mb/s write and starts to drop as it leaves the outside of the platter and 1.5 hours latter it picks up to 100mb/s and starts to drop as expected. I won't know until I put a different drive in that slot tomorrow if it is the HDD or something wonky with that particular slot on the backplane. Wanted others thoughts. These drives have a 30 day warrenty and I plan to replace probably every drive that has reallocated sectors and da11.
upload_2016-6-26_20-39-47.png

upload_2016-6-26_20-43-18.png

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
The jumps to higher write rates on da11 seem to have occurred at the same time when the badblocks jobs for the other disks switched from read to write mode, so this could be caused by a system bottleneck. Your hardware description seems to be incomplete as you are testing 8 HDDs while your mainboard has 6 SATA ports (if I did not miss anything).

maglin

Patron
There is 15 drives in this box At The Moment running on a M1015 and a SAS2 backplane.

Thank you. I missed that. I have a non multi path back plane so the current data bus is only using 4 lanes or whatever you call it on a SAS bus. IE. The backplane only has a single cable going to it.

I feel much better now after you pointed that out. It's close to 850mb/s transfer if you combine all the drives writing at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.