HDD not showing up

sitelux

Cadet
Hi,

I have been wrapping my head around this issue through the week and not been able to find any good explanation.
I have just upgraded my system from an AMD low-level setup from 2011 (running FreeNAS v.11 something) to a more up to date system.
My previous system had initially 4 x 2 TB disks where 3 disks have been replaced by a WD red 4 TB. As I understood this system could not be ported in any good way so I made a backup of my data and am prepared to do a clean install.
I bought the following:
MOB: Supermicro X11SCL-IF
MEM: 2x Crucial Micron 16 GB ECC non-buf (MTA18ASF2G72AZ-2G6E2 )
CPU: Intel Xeon E-2124
HDD: 4x 4TB WD Red WD40EFRX (where as 3x have been part of previous setup and one is new/blank)
SSD: WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSD - 250GB
For info, I also use my previous build cabinet and PSU; Fractal Design Array r2.

I have installed TrueNAS core 12.0 U5.1.

So, with the basics covered here is my problem;
When powering up my NAS I only get 3 drives in the TrueNAS system.
The last one is not showing.
In the BIOS I can see that 4 disks are present, but three of the drives are shown as 4000.7 GB WDC WD40EFRX-6 drives, while the last is shown as 0.0GB (thats it).
SATA Mode selection is AHCI.
Aggressive LPM support is disabled (tried enabled also).
Storage option ROM/UEFI Driver is set til Legacy (Tried "Do Not Launch" and "UEFI" also).

I have tried to move the disks around and the problem follows the HDD itself, not the power cable and not the SATA cable / port.

Are anyone able to help me here?
Thanks so much in advance.

NugentS

MVP
Is the disk the new one or one of the old ones. If the new disk, then is it a new disk or used?

sitelux

Cadet
Is the disk the new one or one of the old ones. If the new disk, then is it a new disk or used?
Hi,
Initially I assumed it was the new disk, but having a look at old logs I find the SN of the failing disk. This means that one of my "old" disk is showing this behaviour.
I was able to get access to another stationary computer. When I plug it in that it is showing the same behaviour.
I'm starting to think the disk did not surrvive the transition, despite me being careful with respect to ESD and handling :/
Unless you have another theory?

elorimer

Contributor
I had this exact thing happen to me. Replacing two 4TB drives with 8TB drives, one of the 4TB drives became irretreivably damaged somehow.

NugentS

MVP

sitelux

Cadet
So I replaced the drive and now everything works.
Turns out the disk didn't survive being placed in a new setup.
I literallly unplugged the disks from the MoBo and PSU, replaced the HW in the cabinet and connected the disks back to the the MoBo, with antistatic chain.